Which manual would you add?

JFish

I’m interested in starting to reload. Nothing fancy just basic hunting cartridges in 270 win. A family member has a reloading kit they are going to give me so that will offset the initial cost. I’ve been reading through posts and watching tutorials and I think if I stick to basic low volume loading and stay out of the rabbit hole I could have a little fun and maybe save some money... probably not.

I bought the Lyman reloading manual which has been informative so far but there is only one recipe for the weight and caliber I’m interested in. I looked up the components and that specific bullet they have listed is out of stock. Is there another manual that I could add that would have load data with more brands of bullets in the same grain weight?

Lyman or Lee is a decent one to start with for the instructional part. Then find what bullet you want your .270 to shoot and buy a manual from the manufacturer of that bullet. When I start people out in reloading I have them pick the bullet they eventually want to shoot, normally one of the premium variety, and then point them in the direction of something cheaper as well. My logic is that way you have a goal in sight and then you can learn and make the little mistakes in the process and it won’t cost as much on the screw ups. As far as screw ups, I’m not talking about blowing up a gun. I’m talking about errors in die set up and or just getting dummy rounds made until you’re comfortable with the process. Then just put together some starting (minimum charge) loads and go test them. They will boost your confidence in the process with very little fear of damaging anything or anyone.

Lots of online load info available from powder manufacturers. I haven’t looked at a reloading book in many years for that reason, just use Hodgdon’s database. This is not to be confused with user data, it is published info from the companies themselves.

Thanks for the replies. I think I’m going to hit a few gun shops and see what, if anything, is available and maybe work backwards from there. I have some time since I have to shoot up some old ammo I have before I can try reloading.

I have the Lee, Berger, 2 Hornady, Sierra V, VI, Hodgdons annual publications, and Alliants annual publications.

I have 2 Nosler manuals, but don't use or fully trust them.
I do use & like Noslers other products!

Bear in mind, there are online sources you can download for free.
VithaVouri, Ramshot, Western Powders, Barnes just to name a few.

Plus the online info at Alliant, Hodgdon.

I would always check the website of the book your using. They make mistakes and put updates on line. I had to make a bunch of black marks in a Hornady book. Actually I need to check on a few newer manuals myself.

Honestly once you understand the process of reloading and the nuances that go with reloading the books don't offer much for current info. Even the newest releases are outdated once they print. they're invaluable for oddities and lead bullets but Online load data via powder and bullet manufacturers is where I get 99% of my data.

Buy the thickest one you can find with the most cartridges, as a new reloader you'll find comparing cartridges and bullet weights interesting. The Sierra bullets manual comes to mind.

Beyond that I second what Mthuntr said, you'll find yourself just using the powder or bullet manufacturers website for data.

-Hodgdon website has a ton of data; Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders only though.
-Nosler website is also good and has multiple powder manufacturers on there. I've found the max loads on Nosler's website are truly max pressure loads so don't start with just throwing the max charge.
-Barnes website is good for data on monolithic projectiles.
-Alliant, while their powders are great, their website sucks.

I get some data online but am a sucker for loading manuals. I recently dumped a bunch of older manuals. Man was I jonesing. I usually cross reference new and old manuals as I have a lot of older powder. I also like powder profiles and Ken Waters Pet Loads.

Something you'll notice about Lyman and Lee is they make reloading equipment and write manuals but they don't make bullet's! Something about all the bullet's maker's is they also make manuals but they don't list loads using someone else's bullet's. and you'll find some real difference's in powder charges for the same weight bullet's. But if you back up on the data you will also find where there is a load you can start from regardless of who's manual you use. Good thing they all list starting loads. You can work up loads for anybody's bullet with someone else's data by starting at starting loads and working up. You'll also notice they all use a different rifle to develop loads in, may be same brand but different rifle. I have 2 243's, a Mossberg Patriot and a Rem 700. One rifle will take the ammo for either and the other's chamber is a bit small and has to have it's own ammo. That can also happen with the same bran of rifles as chamber's might vary. Reloading is a very very safe hobby if, and only if, you follow the rules. They can be found in every loading manual and all pretty much the same!

I have Berger, Sierra, Hornady and Speer. I shoot a lot of Bergers, so I think this is the one I prefer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back