MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which duck and goose call?

mdunc8

I've got the decoys, now I need a little practice calling. There's five billion different calls ranging from $12-$200. Throw out some suggestions for a decent call that is relatively easy to learn on. I want something that I can eventually get to sound like a duck/goose, but I'm not going to pay $200 for one....yet.

I agree! Go ahead and do it right the first time and get a Zink. They have single reeds, and double reeds. Since your kind of new to calling... get a double reed, they're easier to learn on and a little more forgiving. The Power Hen and Power Hen 2 cant be beat.

Good luck!!

I used to compete in duck and goose calling contest with Zink Calls. I eventually started Pro-Staffing with them. You have to decide how much time you are going to put into practicing as short reed calls take a lot of CORRECT practice to sound like a goose. IF you are willing to put in the time get a good The above mentioned call is a good choice. Otherwise, get a flute call. For a good duck call, there are a bunch of them out there. I like C&S Custom calls. On a budget the Haydells are good. Before you spend $200.00 on one or two calls I would start with inexpensive and spend the extra money on DVD's that teach you how to blow the call correctly. Double Reed duck calls are easier to blow then single reeds. Bad Crammer from Molt Productions is one the best learning DVD's out there. Scott helped me a bunch on my contest calling and I picked up a lot of tricks for goose hunting calling from him as well. The RNT CD's are also very good for learning how to properly blow a duck call.

Iknow Echo Calls makes a really nice double reed duck call. I just bought one this past season for $50 and really like it. Good luck in your search.

Zink PH-2 is a good starter double reed for ducks. Don't know how to Goose call. Unless you live alone I advise getting a CD as well so you can call and learn in your truck whenever you are driving. Learn how to quack, greet and hail and you'll be in good shape.

Learning and setting up where ducks want to be in different situations beats competition calling every time!

I have always had cheap poly calls and I have brought in ducks and sounded okay. I decided to bite the bullet and get a acrylic call and got the Homewrecker from Gander Valley. It is very ducky and easy to run. I wish I had done it years ago.

I just bought the Gander Valley PCS goose call and it sounds great, granted harder to run then a duck call. They are $110 each but you can a lot of polycarbs or do it once and get a great call and Mark has great customer service. If you call him you will talk for a long time and he will get you what is best for you. You can call back once you get the call and blow it over the phone and he will tell you what you are doing wrong. Pretty good customer service.

I think calls are like binos, you get what you pay for. Most people buy cheapies and then wished they went higher end right away and only did it once. Higher end calls seem to keep there value fairly well and can be sold. Good luck and good hunting to you.

Here is Mark's web site- http://www.gandervalleycustomcalls.com/index.htm

For ducks, buy a inexpensive Buck Gardner double reed mallard. I've got a BGB Cocobola call on my lanyard and the buck gardner gets more use.

Goose call vary, short reed calls will be a longer learning curve trust me. In the right hands even a cheap sean mann call sounds good.

I have only been waterfowl hunting for 53 years but I am happy with calls I now use (and I have used a bunch thru the years). I use Heirloom calls exclusively these days for ducks. They are built one at a time by one man in his garage and custom tuned, You can get your choice of wood, color and double or single reed from Brian for around $40 including shipping and they are purty! Brian is a handicapped Nam Vet and a cancer survivor....tough little sumbeech....he also custom builds knives, deer and elk calls and can be convinced to make a goose call. His turkey calls are top of line (also the only box calls I now use)
Check him out at www.heirloomgamecalls.com

The best thing I did to learn to call waterfowl, and likely prevent marital strife, was to buy some instructional CD's on calling and listen to them in the truck when I drive places and blow on the calls. This only works if my wife isn't with me. My dog sits in the back looking out the windows for birds.

I only use poly calls, mostly because I am not profficient enough to get the full benefit of a good acrylic call. I did just buy an RNT Goose Hunter, it is a wood and poly call, it sounds pretty good for a $40 call.

If you get stumped on something let me know. I work from home and sometimes can help you out. They keys are hand positioning and proper air flow. You want that warm air from deep inside you lungs. Air control is going to help you out a lot. You only can have so much air but how you control that air makes all the difference. Start slow, you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk. Most everyone I have taught tried to run first. Doing this right is a big time commitment but will make a huge difference in the field.

Best meat call out there IMO for a beginner is a Haydels DR 85. Mine still hangs on my lanyard after 17 seasons and is the first one I grab for. Cost is under 20 dollars and it will put a TON of ducks in the bag.

I don't ever blow a call while duck or goose hunting, period. If you are where they want to be and hidden well, no call needed. I think 90% of calling is to impress the hunter how good he sounds and the other 10% is to make the birds laugh.

Nemont

I don't ever blow a call while duck or goose hunting, period. If you are where they want to be and hidden well, no call needed. I think 90% of calling is to impress the hunter how good he sounds and the other 10% is to make the birds laugh.

Nemont

No calling is better than bad calling anyday. But proper calling works, knowing when to call is much more important than the noise itself. I have killed a lot of ducks that just needed a little extra persuasion to commit. My kazoo was worth every penny I spent on it.

Rat Fink,

I agree that calling can work, I just think a beginning duck hunter is better off learning to scout, find where the birds want to be, how to be properly hid and to not get caught up in worrying about calling.

I have calls and usually have my lanyard with me and I can call but I don't think those calls touched my lips this season. Just saying that in Montana, calling should be way down on your list of things. IMHO.

Nemont

Calling is a tool. Used properly it will greatly increase your chance of success. If used wrong, it can hurt you. If you cant do it, you can it will greatly improve your odds of getting birds in range. Hunting the hot spot is great but you will be constantly chasing hotspots as when you burn them out, unless the feed is fantastic, they often dont come back. I like hunting near but not on the hot spot. I get more consistent shooting for longer periods of time but it takes some coaxing to get the birds to cooperate. Also, when the migration is on, calling is very important. It takes a lot of skill and commitment but is worth it in the long run. Maybe the areas that you hunt dont have a lot of pressure from other hunters and calling is not as important. I typically hunt public water and non leased fields and being a skilled caller is a must if you want consistent success.

You must read the birds when calling....you have to watch them for subtle responses.....and use appropiate volume and call sounds at the right time.....and still it probably fails to get them to close more often than not, but you have to call in the lease dominated fields of MO and AR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back