Caribou Gear

Which bow to get

wiggysIROC

It is time for me to start thinking about what bow I want. Right now, I have a Grizzly Bear Compound, it has been used on one hunting trip by me and got an antelope. The arrows don't fly right, and I have had it to several shops and supposedly, it has a warped limb. Also, I had it signed by Ted Nugent. I really don't want to spend $600, but I want a good, fast bow. Any inputs you could give me would mean alot! Also, what is IBO speed and the other measured speed (don't remember the acronym)? Which do I want to look for? In Idaho I can only have a 65% let-off.

THANKS!!
Mark

The best bow for you is the one you feel comfortable shooting and shoot well with. Go to a pro shop and see if they'll let you throw a few arrows. There are many great bows out there that will do the trick, and from there it's preference. Good luck in your search.

You can probably get replacement limbs for your Grizzly. Limbs are inexpensive.

If you're itchin to have a new bow, BANG for the buck, Look at Martin's Phantom. If your main purpose is hunting, AMO-IBO speed doesn't matter a whole lot. Any 60 pound + bow will kill elk very well.

Shoot the bow before buying. If you do buy practice, practice. And don't forget the sardine secret if chasing elk.

T Bone

IBO is the speed of the bow at 70 pounds 30 inch draw and a 350 grain arrow I believe. The AMO is less poundage with a heavier arrow cant remember exactly. Your bow will be in the middle when set up for hunting. The IBO on my Mathews bow is 308 fps. I am shooting 68 pounds with a 28inch draw and 430 grain arrow at 287 fps to give you an idea.... The numbers dont really mean much as long as your bow hits hard and you make a good shot.... Before i bought this bow I was shooting a PSE solocam that Ipicked up with all accessories for only $650. I dont think it will be easy finding a new quality bow with all accesories for less than that.

This is easy. Do what DGF said, shoot a bunch of bows and then buy yourself a Bowtech Patriot, single or the dual cam. Great bow, great company.

www.bowtecharchery.com

S. Fecl

Thank you all for your help! It looks like this will be a harder decision than what I originally thought. I have looked at all of the the bows you suggested and a few that I thought of on my own, and I have figured this out, I will be spending from 400-700 dollars. I just need to find a dealer that will let me shoot some bows.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FEW:
The numbers dont really mean much as long as your bow hits hard and you make a good shot....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What would I look for in a bow/arrow combination to make it "hit hard"? I will be able to place it in the right spot. In Idaho we can't go less than 400 gram arrow weight. I am also hoping that I can figure the spine the arrow should have depnding on the poundage and whatnot.

Mark

Most dealers should have a chart that will take into consideration your draw legnth and weight and will have a recomended size range for arrows. I usually go a little lighter because I like being able to shoot longer range but the chart is a good reference...

For most hitting hard is a combination of a heavy arrow with a decent draw weight. A comparison would be lighter carbon arrows as compared to heaviet aluminum arrows. The heavy aluminum will travel slower yet probably will produce greater kinetic energy, the thing that really effects penetration. The lighter arrow will shoot flatter meaning it's flying faster and you will probably need less pins. On the down side your arrow, like a bullet, will lose energy with distance and with a carbon arrow you are allready starting out with less kinetic energy.

Think of it like this but on a smaller scale:

You get hit in the head with a paper ball traveling 70 MPH.

You get hit in the head with a baseball traveling 40 MPH. :D

Far fetched, but it's the idea that's really ebing put out on the table. For most the perfect arrow is the one that does the job adaquetly. Find that set up and go hunting.

Good luck and happy hunting.

go to this site and do some surfing.

www.bowjackson.com

Regarding bow's find the one you like after shooting a bunch of different ones. A few bows that have some things going for them are Hoyt and Darton with their Hybrid cam systems. Level nock travel comes more in to play when you put a broadhead on your arrow. In the end find what you like and make sure you hook up with a good pro shop. Also look at drop aways like the MZE if you're going to do spot and stalk.

Mark,

Next time you're in Boise take a peek at Sportsman's Warehouse. They have an OK archery dept where you can try before you buy. There's a guy there that knows his stuff, he owned All Seasons archery before they went under. Their prices are good.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T Bone:
Mark,

Next time you're in Boise take a peek at Sportsman's Warehouse. They have an OK archery dept where you can try before you buy. There's a guy there that knows his stuff, he owned All Seasons archery before they went under. Their prices are good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome! Thanks! I was also going to try Idaho Outdoor Outfitters. Have you ever heard of them? They have a range also, but I don't know if they will let you shoot. Also, Spinti's here in Mt. Home, they carry Bow Tech, High Country Archery, and supposedly, PSE.

Mark

Mark,
I would highly recommend Idaho Outdoor Outfitters. In fact, I think they are the best shop in the valley. Jay and Matt will set you up very well. They insist you try before you buy. Their prices are fair, service is untouchable.

I only recommended Sportsman becacause its closer to Mtn Home.

I bought my last bow from Outdoor Outfitters and have several friends that bought from them. We've all been very pleased with the product and service.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T Bone:
Mark,
I would highly recommend Idaho Outdoor Outfitters. In fact, I think they are the best shop in the valley. Jay and Matt will set you up very well. They insist you try before you buy. Their prices are fair, service is untouchable.

I only recommended Sportsman becacause its closer to Mtn Home.

I bought my last bow from Outdoor Outfitters and have several friends that bought from them. We've all been very pleased with the product and service.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! I don't mind driving a little farther for good service. It may be a few months, but I will let you know what I get.

Mark

Mark, go to Idaho Outdoor Outfitters.
They are the best place to go.
You can try out stuff in the indoor range,they are the dealer for a number of good bow's, and usually have a good bunch to try out.
Once you get set up there will be alot of 3-D shoots comming up ,if you want to get out & have some fun give them a try.

A lighter arrow can generate more kinetic energy as the formula for energy is mass X velocity squared. It speeds up and slows down faster, the heavier arrow will retain more energy because of the increased mass. Just like rifle bullets, use one for the job you intend it and you'll be fine. I fully support the idea of shooting a bow before you buy it.

Back