WHICH 22 ? WHAT SCOPE?

hntrjohn

The Ruger 10/22 is a great little gun, except for the trigger. I have a Simmins 3x9 on it. I believe it is called the 22 mag, bought through the Cabelas catalog for around $40 with rings.

John

I also use the Ruger 10-22. they are easily customized and they take some serious abuse. they also have one of the Best Magazine desins i have used do mainly to the fact i have had my for about 9yrs and it has never jamed upon me. as for a scope I use a straight 4X from simmons

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Hi guys:
I need to buy a 22, scoped, for my 15 year old, and myself of course, mainly just for plinkin. After 30 years of using the 06, and 12 gauge, I realized, I'm the only one I know without a 22. I'd like to teach him to shoot, and I don't want him to start with flinching problems, off the bat. Most of my friends have Rugers, 10:22, and I think they are great. They all have different scopes though, so I was wondering what you guys think. What's a good setup? Fixed? variable?
Please help me out on this because this is the first time he seems interested in hangin with the old man.
Regards
Gun Smoke

Gun Smoke--- In a lever action I like the Marlin brand. I had nothing but problems with a Ruger 10/22 model, so I took it back and traded it in on a bolt action 22mag. My son liked it a lot better and he learned to focus his shooting skills much better also.
The other interesting thing is that is makes for a good varmint gun up close besides and has the feel of a big game gun. Stay away from the semi-auto's, to easy for a shell to stay lodged in the loading tube, giving the shooter the idea it is no longer loaded.

Gunsmoke, to me it depends on the boy. If he were mine I'd start him out with a 22 bolt action with a 4x scope. This way he'd learn to place his shots.
If you're inclined to buy a semi auto...ya just can't beat a Ruger 10/22. I have put a mountain of ammo through one and it has never one time jammed. They are available in stainless/synthetic format also. Accurate too, with the right ammo.
Get him started hunting, then you won't have to hunt for him later on in life.
smile.gif
WD

I have to agree you should get him a bolt gun, those autos will eat up lots of ammo. And boys tend to shoot alot,and not really take aim. with a bolt gun at least he can concentrate on a target rather than pulling the trigger.I was a kid once and and remember my first semi auto. Marlin makes some good shooters, while they dont look very pretty they are very accurate I have 4 of them. the 22 mag wouldnt be a bad choice either.
As far as a scope i would say a simmons or a tasco in a 3-9 or a 4-12 . I prefer a leupold but its not fesible in this case.

Good luck
Delw

Take a look at the new Thomson/Center semi. 22. I haven't shot one yet but it looked really good at the gun show. They are just now becoming available. The new BRNO/CZ bolt action looked real nice for the money too. It handles like a full size rifle. Had nice wood also.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. In my heart, I know I should start him off with a bolt action, which is the way that I started, accept it was 06. I figured in a 22, it didn't matter if it was a semi, because there is basically no recoil, but now I realize, that if he concentrates on the one shot, he'll be a better shooter.
Apparently, simmons is the way to go with the scope according to your replies. I'm so excited about shooting with my son, (today you're lucky to get 5 minutes with the primo donnas) I started thinking about the times I spent years ago plinkin with my Dad.
Life is good if you don't let them steal your kids.
Regards to all
Gun Smoke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back