Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Where would you hunt?

I only do budget hunts. All DIY and mostly camping, some hotels.
You may not believe it but I have done 11 days in Hawaii for axis deer for $900 all inclusive including airfare. I go every year, got flights booked for myself and wife for 2 weeks in March. 2 roundtrips for $657, not each but both.
I did New Zealand for 2 weeks, big game and waterfowl for $1600 all inclusive, including airfare.
+1 for New Zealand. I also do mostly budget hunts here in NZ, for these hunts the cost is just travel really. No accommodation (use a tent) or tag costs. It can be a bit more if I use a helicopter or plane ($200 - $500 pp).

I like hunting on the reservations. SD was a great hunt for about $1,500 total from DC.

A while back 12 years or so I helped start a co-op hunting page on another forum. Many of the members , myself included hunted different states with a member of the forum. Great way meet friends and hunt sweet spots. We also set up forums hunts in states that would accommodate a good size group. Most hunters camped some stayed in nearby hotels.

Wyoming is good for me. Antelope buck tag and conservation stamp runs about 300, I camped on BLM and split food with WV hunter and his dad. Fuel was the biggest cost. All in all I think I had less than $800 total into the hunt and had a great time. Once you've done the initial investment for camping gear, it more than pays for itself in the long run.

My brother and I have done WY antelope, WY mule deer, and CO elk twice. The antelope was a blast but the elk keep calling us back. All hunts were true DIY out of a base camp tent - right around $1000 for the elk hunts due to NR tag and cost of fuel to get out there from Ohio. At this rate we can hunt at 1/7th the guided rate and have more fun.

I second Cushman, Wyoming Antelope is awesome, a great group experience, always seeing animals. Not to say that all of the rest of the hunts aren't fun but this is a blast for your first hunt out of state. I have heard people say "if I am going to go out of state it is going to be for something bigger than antelope"' in fact I said that before I went out for my first time in 2011, well I returned in 2012 and again in 2014. You can make the hunt as easy, glassing from the road until you see one and getting out and shooting, to as hard, walking huge tracks of walk in access until you find a trophy, as you want. great for people of all ages. when my daughters turn 10 and 12 I am bringing them out to do this because if it can hook a crusty hunter like myself, it will definitely be a great experience for new hunters.

Definitely gonna have a WY antelope hunt on the schedule this year, seems like the best bang for the non-res buck.

Back