Yeti GOBOX Collection

Where would you hunt in Co. with 8 pref points?

1jaycoolman

Sure could use some advise.
I have 8 preference points for elk in Colorado.
I really would like to use them as I am getting older.
I am interested in a DIY muzzle loader or 1st rifle hunt.
I hunted Colorado unit 4 in 2003 and 2005. I understand the numbers are not as good there now.
I'm interested in what you would do or have done.
Thanks so much, Jay.

501 muzz bull took 5-6 NR PPs last year. Nice unit w good wilderness, but close proximity to Denver inflates the points needed there. Sadly you are far into no-man's land on PPs, options don't improve much until you get 10+ pps.

Sure could use some advise.
I have 8 preference points for elk in Colorado.
I really would like to use them as I am getting older.
I am interested in a DIY muzzle loader or 1st rifle hunt.
I hunted Colorado unit 4 in 2003 and 2005. I understand the numbers are not as good there now.
I'm interested in what you would do or have done.
Thanks so much, Jay.

Muzzy bull takes 8 points for Non-Residents in unit 4. I'd go back there as you already know the unit. Unit 4 is home to the Bears Ears herd, which is the 2nd largest herd of elk in CO. I don't know who told you elk is down in unit 4, but they may want to check their facts. There is a ton of elk in the Mountains NE of craig..

I noticed the comment about the big Elk herd, N.E of Craig, Co.. While I'm not familiar with the area, I did get into a dialogue with a guy on Facebook about the hunting conditions near Craig. This man was pretty full of himself, and repeatedly announced for all to read; " Don't argue with me, I work for the BLM and I know what I'm talking about". His remarks were in reference to the 4 foot snow depths in that area, and the extremely high mortality rates expected in the area. He claimed DOW was shooting Elk to avoid them suffering in starvation and exposure.
I want to emphasize that this is heresay, and I don't know how accurate this may be. I'd look into it though if planning to hunt there.

I also read something like that. The guy was talking about all the deer that were being hit on the road. He said that if you were planning a deer hunt in units 1 thru 14 this year a person may want to put that off for a while because of the high mortality rate.

I think I may take ishootdasmallones advise and go back to unit 4.

Are elk as vulnerable to the winter kill as deer?

Thanks so much, Jay

I think the elk fair alot better than the deer do. I think muzzy in unit 4 would be alot of fun. I'll have enough points to get a res tag next year and that's where i'll be.

A 1st rifle or muzzleloader takes more than 8 pp in unit 40. You may be able to draw a late rifle tag. I think a lot of us are in the same boat with single digit pp.

Back