Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Where to fish Grand Mesa

Bigjay73

Heading up Grand Mesa for the first time this weekend. Anyone know of a good lake or two to put a kayak on and catch some fish?

I enjoy spending time on the mesa, but catching fish can be an exercise if futility on most of the lakes... stick to the ones near the cabins and you should do alright

I enjoy spending time on the mesa, but catching fish can be an exercise if futility on most of the lakes... stick to the ones near the cabins and you should do alright
Well that's disappointing to hear. Floating around for a few hours will be worth it, fish or no fish. At least I'll have low expectations, any fish will be a bonus

20 years ago a buddy and I found some decent cutthroats in one of the streams, and I recall the lakes by the cabins had decent numbers of small trout. Things may gave changed it’s been a while. I also saw some nice fish (no fishing rod in hand) in a more remote reservoir, not sayin where though 😉 but if I found it you can too. FYI some of the small reservoirs may go totally empty in summer... and thus no fish.

My Grandfather lived in Cedaredge when he was younger. He and my Grandmother spent their honeymoon in a cabin at Island Lake Lodge on Grand Mesa.

When I was a kid in the '50s and '60s, my Grandparents would spend their vacation every other year at Island Lake Lodge and would take me with them. My Grandfather would row us around Island Lake and we would catch enough fish for our dinners.

We would also walk into Butts Lake and would see some monster trout cruising the shore, but we never caught any.

I moved out of Colorado in '75 and I doubt that I would recognize any of Grand Mesa now.

I know the OP was from the summer but I just ran across this in my stacks and if you can get a copy it may help ya in the future. It was from 2005. Perhaps they have released an update since.67761799-6995-4C98-AB2B-A4CF0B76D0C6.jpeg

There IS an updated Grand Mesa fishing guide, it's worth buying. I picked up a copy from the CPW office in Grand Junction.

Reactions: Oak
I know the original post is old, but there are plenty of trout up there. I even got some more specialized gear for trolling while out with our kayak. Very flexible rods coupled with level wind casting reels to avoid line twist.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back