Where To Find Historical Wildfire Data?

Colberjs

I'm trying to find wildfire information that goes back more than 1 year. Is there a way to do that on ArcGIS or InciWeb? I know the OnX app has it but looking for something a little more searchable or at least where I can filter it by area or year.

Any other websites I can check?

Thanks!!

Go to the specific forest website, gis area and it will be there in shape and kmz formats. Google earth pro will bring in both formats. You can apply a style template to the shape file as well and set the header to fire name.

Last edited:
Go to the specific forest website, gis area and it will be there in shape and kmz formats. Google earth pro will bring in both formats. You can apply a style template to the shape file as well and set the header to fire name.

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm going to have to try to translate that to Okie because I have no idea what most of that means. LOL. I'll try to sort it out.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/fishingplanner/mapcenter/

Click the tab on the left hand toolbar that says "Turn Layers On/Off" and scroll down to check the box for "Wildfire & Closure Related Layers" and under that, the sub box that says "Past Year Fire Perimeters". You can zoom out and it'll show you data for the entire country, even though this is an ID F&G map. Data only goes back to 2012, but you're probably looking for the areas from 2014 or 2015, if I've got your motives pegged.

Good luck!

Thank you. That made it easier. Looks like there just hast been much fire activity in the area I'll be hunting.

There was one in 2012, is that too old to still be drawing elk in?

The Montana DNRC puts out historical wildfire boundaries as a map service:

https://gis.dnrc.mt.gov/arcgis/rest/services/FD/FAMB/MapServer

If you know how to add the rest endpoint to ArcMap that'd work, or you could just click on the blue hyperlink at the top of the page that says ArcGIS Online Map Viewer. Once open, click on the FAMB layer in the table of contents to expand all the sub layers.

Last edited:
Back