Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Where to camp for hunt??

I usually camp within easy driving distance to the nearest paved road or highway in case I have to get out because of weather, and weather changes fast in Wyoming. Just ask anyone who has hunted Wyoming.

I camp far enough away that I am not going to bump wild game that may be there but close enough I can hike or get to them without bumping them with a ATV or something like that. That depends on your game. For elk, I don't like to camp closer than one mile to where I think they are. For dear and antelope, you can just about camp anywhere because they are creatures of habit and will travel through hunting camps or close by. You just don't want to disturb their bedding areas until you are ready to hunt. Same with antelope, when you put them to bed at night, you do not want to drive through or close to that herd until you are ready for the actual stalk the next day.

I’ll be going for coues in AZ. Where I would like to camp is within 1000 yards of where I scouted some deer and I’m guessing they will still be in that area when my hunt is at least I hope. I saw a lot of sign there for deer and wasn’t sure if the camp itself would cause them or whatever in the area to get bumped.Let’s say it did, how far from your guys experience would they travel being bumped??

Thank you for the guidance as well. This is my first time doing the whole hunt experience without anyone knowledgeable with me, my first time I got spoiled and didn’t realize how much work really went into a successful hunt.

Thank you for the guidance as well. This is my first time doing the whole hunt experience without anyone knowledgeable with me, my first time I got spoiled and didn’t realize how much work really went into a successful hunt.

If you ever hunt Wyoming, I am always willing to take ethical hunters with me. Be aware I am 65 though and not the best physical shape no more, but I can get you into situations where you have a chance of success depending on your willingness to work at it. I am a seek and stalk type hunter myself and move deliberately slow except when I am on a mission to get to my setup point quick. I also do a lot of blind hunting once I find spots where I know they are coming back to every day. I have been hunting since I was 16 so I can help people when it comes to deer and antelope especially.

If you ever hunt Wyoming, I am always willing to take ethical hunters with me. Be aware I am 65 though and not the best physical shape no more, but I can get you into situations where you have a chance of success depending on your willingness to work at it. I am a seek and stalk type hunter myself and move deliberately slow except when I am on a mission to get to my setup point quick. I also do a lot of blind hunting once I find spots where I know they are coming back to every day. I have been hunting since I was 16 so I can help people when it comes to deer and antelope especially.
That’s awesome thank you for the invite not sure if I’ll ever make it there to hunt, maybe one day the Lord will bless me with that opportunity.

it really depends....sometimes I like to camp a good ways aways from my primary spots. Sometimes I hI think right from camp. I don’t think there is any reason to have hard set rule

In the mid nineties a friend and I spotted a dandy buck one evening. The snow was crunchy and the timber was thick so we decided our best bet was to get into position early in the morning and if the buck didn't show in the first hour of light I would try a one man drive. My lookout was not much more than a 1/4 mile from a popular camping spot. I got there well before light and the campers were still getting ready below me. As they left in their truck I was thinking" If they knew about the buck close to camp, that they wouldn't be driving away. The buck didn't show in the first hour so I started to work the timber. I jumped the buck and does but couldn't get a shot in the timber. He ran right to my friend. Game over.

Last edited:
Something to add, hunting pressure in the area needs to be considered. If you have heavy hunting pressure, it may not matter where you camp because they will be moving all over the place trying to get to their sanctuaries and onto private land. In that case, I try to camp somewhere in the middle and hike into the border areas and try to get one that way. However, be careful there. You do not want to take a shot that has a chance of going into private property. Landowners in most areas will NOT give you permission to retrieve your game. Some will, but most will not. I stay about 200 yards away from the boundaries and take only good kill shots then.

Back