Yeti GOBOX Collection

Where should I hunt??

Dkolts

So I live in San Diego and I want to rifle hunt Pronghorn. I would like to keep the drive to around 12 hours at most less time driving more time hunting.
I would like to hunt Public land. What units and state should I put in for? I would like to put in for 2-3 years Before drowning or first year.
If there is a OTC tag for doe or buck would be nice. that way I can go learn how to hunt them. at least before good drawing a tag.
Any feed back would be great I am new at this out of state tag stuff. Thanks for your help.

Rifle buck tags in colorado won't be had without points or private land access. Doe tags aren't that easy to draw in the best areas for public land either.
I've been putting in for utah for 6 years without drawing a tag.
Truth is this: Wyoming will always be your best bet for a good hunt without needing points or private land access.

Might be a little further, but Montana has a archery season that's almost guaranteed or is. Might be an option

Any of the Utah units are going to take about as many points to draw as Wyoming. Put in for both states and start building points. See which one comes first. Hopefully it would be Utah then you could hunt Wyoming during the 2 year waiting period. An archery tag in Utah will be easier to draw as well if that’s an option for you.

put in for a doe tag in Idaho . they're not to awfully hard to draw .buck tags are almost impossible to get though. took me twenty two years to get one

Any of the Utah units are going to take about as many points to draw as Wyoming. Put in for both states and start building points. See which one comes first. Hopefully it would be Utah then you could hunt Wyoming during the 2 year waiting period. An archery tag in Utah will be easier to draw as well if that’s an option for you.
Agree with this. Start building points in Wyoming. You should have no problem getting a doe tag or two each year in Wyoming while you wait to draw a better buck tag--that will get you the practice you want. And some parts of Wyoming will only be a little more than 12 hours from you.

My youngest daughter and I drew doe antelope tags in Wyoming this year. Our first time trying, and there were some leftover tags in some of the units. Shouldn't be hard to get one or two of those next year.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back