Where did they go?

Taylord9

I’m his spring and summer I had 4 really nice whitetails hitting salt north of spokane. I haven’t seen a good buck in 3 weeks. It’s been really hot. Will they come back?

Sometimes it's just too damn hot and dry so they stay where there's water, food and lots of cover. Once the weather changes they should start moving again.

Sometimes it's just too damn hot and dry so they stay where there's water, food and lots of cover. Once the weather changes they should start moving again.
+1
sam.jpg

After they are finished growing they don't crave the salt as much. If they are still growing there and haven't finished out... check back after a good rain and a cool down.

After they are finished growing they don't crave the salt as much. If they are still growing there and haven't finished out... check back after a good rain and a cool down.

what should I put out for them if they come Back?

Not my style of hunting but I know guys who pack alfalfa bales back into the woods and hang them from trees, but that was for the late season. We had some changes on baiting a few years ago, not familiar since I don't bait, but you might want to check those rules to make sure.

They probably won't have gone far, most of the whitetails don't migrate much, especially if you're not at higher elevations to start with. If you have trail cams and such you can probably pattern them out with some work. Usually in early Sept they're still in bachelor groups and fairly predictable, but they'll be changing habits through the month as the rut gets closer.

Whitetails always have a different fall core area than a summer core area
food changes and they stay out of tight cover when antlers are soft in velvet once they start to harden off they go looking for heavier cover

I pulled my tripod feeder. And this guy showed up less than 24 hrs later. The bigger ones were scared I guess. 137628C3-C607-4428-90B4-575DBD1D4218.png

Attachments

• 80FC5D35-6835-4374-A1BE-94EADDCDCAD5.png
    80FC5D35-6835-4374-A1BE-94EADDCDCAD5.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Yep, depending on the size of your property and how close to town this was its hard to say how far they moved. When I had trail cameras in an agricultural area next to big woods in MN we would have some bucks show up in summer/early fall that would disappear by mid-Oct and new bucks would show up during the rut. Had a nice 140" whitetail show up at two different cameras 3/4 mile apart within 1.5 hrs. Shot about 1.5 weeks later by the neighbors grandson another 1+ miles away.

Yesterday evening we saw 10+ whitetail bucks in velvet in hayfields/pasture on private land close to the roads in 50 miles of driving through the ID Panhandle. It was a cool evening so they must have all decided to come out after recent hot days. Some were decent shooters but one that cross the road in front of the pickup was BIG. Checked Onx and some timber company land and state land within a mile of the big one, so might be a new spot to check out during the rut.

I pulled my tripod feeder. And this guy showed up less than 24 hrs later. The bigger ones were scared I guess. View attachment 151342

Not to be a buzz kill but I think you need to be careful with your bait. You should really review the baiting regulations, page 86 of hunting pamphlet. No more than 10 gallons of volume, so the bucket on your tripod can't exceed 10 gallons, and your alfalfa needs to fit into 2 five gallon buckets. Might be hard to prove in court, but if I was a warden, I'd estimate your alfalfa pile to exceed 10 gallons from the photo. You never know who is watching the internet, and besides, you want to be on the right side of the law, or you wouldn't be a member here right? Even though we're preseason the language is "to attract them with the intent of hunting" which a judge could easily interpret to mean even before the season starts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back