Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

When would you want a pair of Pac boots?

When I had them (looong since tossed) Id slip them on to go to the barn or split firewood in the winter, that’s truly about it.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are wearing pac boots on horseback?
Even with oversized stirrups I can't get my snow boots to slide in comfortably.
I used to wear pack boots all the time if there was snow. Murdochs used to carry oversized plastic stirrups that a pack boot would fit in, at least my size 10s would. They came in brown or orange. They were clunky but worked pretty good. I don't see them online anymore. You run into a situation where regular boots would slide right through them though. These days I can't sit on a horse too long, so I end up walking half of the time.

I used to wear pack boots all the time if there was snow. Murdochs used to carry oversized plastic stirrups that a pack boot would fit in, at least my size 10s would. They came in brown or orange. They were clunky but worked pretty good. I don't see them online anymore. You run into a situation where regular boots would slide right through them though. These days I can't sit on a horse too long, so I end up walking half of the time.
I have some of those oversized plastic stirrups, they look absolutely ridiculous and barely fit large boots

The thought of needing pack boots makes my feet cold. If I'm in that situation, there's a good chance I'm already real pissed off and heading back to camp anyway. If I can't get it done with lightly insulated hiking boots and gaiters, then I'm in the wrong damn place.

I tried some of these for 1st time on top of my toes (w/heavy socks and boots had enough wiggle room) on a recent morning of hunting (20F). Was toasty and totally forgot they were there. Not sure about long hikes, on those u probably wouldnt need them if boots were even lightly insulated, waterproof, with good wool socks.

View attachment 255823
These things are wonderful...
I start wearing them when the snow piles up.. till spring thaw. Work great over a liner sock, a good wool sock and worn inside my 400 gm insulated boots, plenty warm enough to sit a couple hours, but not to the point of sweating my feet when hiking hard.

Thanks guys, so you wouldn't want to put in a ton of miles wearing pac boots I take it.
So maybe I’m an anomaly here, but once it gets cold or snowy, I almost exclusively wear my pacs hunting. I put tons of miles on mine. I do have to get them “resoled” every couple years. I have a couple pairs of the Schnee’s Hunter IIs. The rubber they use now is not as durable as the stuff they used to use, but I also abuse them so 🤷🏻‍♀️ They get worn daily this time of year, from work to town to hunting.

I like them better than my Kennetreks for cold (like teens and colder) because the rubber stays soft. I find the soles of many, many boots get very hard once it gets cold and they get slick. The pacs stay softer and grippier, which means I do a lot less slipping and sliding in steep and icy stuff.

So maybe I’m an anomaly here, but once it gets cold or snowy, I almost exclusively wear my pacs hunting. I put tons of miles on mine. I do have to get them “resoled” every couple years. I have a couple pairs of the Schnee’s Hunter IIs. The rubber they use now is not as durable as the stuff they used to use, but I also abuse them so 🤷🏻‍♀️ They get worn daily this time of year, from work to town to hunting.

I like them better than my Kennetreks for cold (like teens and colder) because the rubber stays soft. I find the soles of many, many boots get very hard once it gets cold and they get slick. The pacs stay softer and grippier, which means I do a lot less slipping and sliding in steep and icy stuff.
I think the air bob soles on the Schnee's do grip better than the Kenetrex styles.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back