Caribou Gear

When to hunt New Mexico - 2021 (Archery)

With the draw deadline coming up, many of us are attempting to make our top 3 list for NM Elk. This year, it seems there is a lot against us during the archery season. I'm new to archery hunting (NM Res) and looking for additional insight into what to expect from NM elk during September.

This year, we are projected to have continued (worse?) drought conditions and the fall equinox is expected during a full moon. Corey Jacobsen does a good job breaking this down in this article, but he is less competent in the desert states. NOTE: First archery is 1-14 September, second archery is 15-30 September, peak rutt is 17-25th, and the full moon is the 20th.
20210216_163706.jpg

However, Corey does mentions that he thinks the full moon may delay the rut. Looking for others thoughts/experiences...

I tend to stay away from the where here, because we can be tight lipped (rightfully so). I was planning the Gila. It's a drive for me, but i love fishing in there, like the challenging terrain, and hope water will be better. I plan on hiking A LOT.

I don't think Nick was asking you to share your options, he was just advising to be more concerned about where you want to hunt than with the timing of the hunt. An early Gila tag would still be far better than a second archery in a unit like 50.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the moon, drought or fall equinox at all since we can't control any of it. Figure out where you want to go for choices 1 and 2, then decide where you're willing to go for choice 3 and roll the dice. Generally speaking, the first archery will carry better odds than the second archery for the same unit, but second archery brings the rut.

I don't think Nick was asking you to share your options, he was just advising to be more concerned about where you want to hunt than with the timing of the hunt. An early Gila tag would still be far better than a second archery in a unit like 50.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the moon, drought or fall equinox at all since we can't control any of it. Figure out where you want to go for choices 1 and 2, then decide where you're willing to go for choice 3 and roll the dice. Generally speaking, the first archery will carry better odds than the second archery for the same unit.
This was exactly what I was saying. I would rather have a tag in the Gila regardless of the date than any other tag. Its truly a special place.

My first elk hunt was in NM first season archery and I remember the best day we had during that tag was on a full moon day. It was an awesome experience hiking out at night with a few clouds moving over the moon and hearing non stop bugles. I still remember my brother and I joking about looking for the soup kitchen hahaha (video for soup kitchen reference)

Last edited:
Gotcha. Good to know. I don't want to sit water and really want to get into aggressive bugling

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the moon, drought or fall equinox at all since we can't control any of it. Figure out where you want to go for choices 1 and 2, then decide where you're willing to go for choice 3 and roll the dice. Generally speaking, the first archery will carry better odds than the second archery for the same unit, but second archery brings the rut.
Gotcha, thanks gents. All good to know.

I don't want to sit water and really want to get into aggressive bugling. That means second archery for the want tags. I'm thinking of picking a first archery for my willing tag becauseof the odds. Do you think there will be some early rut action during the later half of first archery.

Gotcha. Good to know. I don't want to sit water and really want to get into aggressive bugling

I don't want to sit water and really want to get into aggressive bugling. That means second archery for the want tags. I'm thinking of picking a first archery for my willing tag becauseof the odds. Do you think there will be some early rut action during the later half of first archery.
Yeah I do, if I was planning a first season archery hunt and couldn't hunt the whole season, I would target the end of the season.

Peak is u

Peak is usually last week of Sept and 1st week of Oct. in SW NM. Started the end of Aug. & went on into Nov. last year,bugling & active bulls.
Good luck drawing.

Sounds like you've got a plan together.

I'm not familiar with SW NM, so I can't help you with the rut question. My limited experience in South Central NM is that the rut has started during the tail end of the first archery season but is definitely better during second archery.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back