What’s your occupation?

I'm an ag mechanic for a family that has a dairy, heifer ranch and their own small creamery. There's always lots of work but I'm rarely doing the same thing everyday, lots of welding, some electrical, plumbing, servicing and repairing tractors...sometimes I'm scraping pens and moving cows if we are short-handed. The only bad part is I work 5 1/2 days a week and only get a week of vacation a year so my available hunting time is limited unfortunately.

I recommend you look for a position on a water/wastewater treatment facility, no shit, it pays great and the bennies are stupid!

Someone is bound to comment about the smell, to which the following reply is made "That's the smell of money!"

Last edited:
Started out landscaping, then to fiber optics environmental testing at Corning(boring), to car audio fab in Bakersfield(fun), to instrumentation in a chem plant back in PA (yuk), and now a high/low voltage substation guy for PPL(lots of o.t.⛈). 14 years already.
Man time flys.

I recommend you look for a position on a water/wastewater treatment facility, no shit, it pays great and the bennies are stupid!

Someone is bound to comment about the smell, to which the following reply is made "That's the smell of money!"
Definitely could use a job with better benefits and less hours! All of my jobs have been outside, dirty or smelly or all the above...so I'm not afraid of dealing with that.

Definitely could use a job with better benefits and less hours! All of my jobs have been outside, dirty or smelly or all the above...so I'm not afraid of dealing with that.
Massive operator shortages in Ohio, and big money being paid out. Saw a Class 1 (can be obtained with one year experience or education credits) operator job posted starting at $42/hour up in the Lake Erie region a few months ago. If you work public, it is 11 paid holidays, usually 2 weeks vacation at hire, public employee retirement, deferred comp, 4.6 hours sick accumulated per pay.
I'm going to be looking for a trainee probably after July with zero experience that will be capable of training on the job until they reach 1 years experience and can get their class 1. I'm going to start out at least $15/hr, and will be at least $21/hr at a year if they get the class 1. I can't do the 42, but it is a much more rural setting where I'm at, and things are a lot cheaper.
Also, the family insurance plan is provided at no cost to employee (about $17000 per employee). Office visits are $20. There is $2500 deductible, of which $2000 is reimbursed through a flex bank plan. Also, my employer provides an additional few "holidays". One being a fair day so you can take family to local fair, or just take it off, plus we get day after Thanksgiving, and half day Christmas eve and good Friday. It's a pretty good gig!

Massive operator shortages in Ohio, and big money being paid out. Saw a Class 1 (can be obtained with one year experience or education credits) operator job posted starting at $42/hour up in the Lake Erie region a few months ago. If you work public, it is 11 paid holidays, usually 2 weeks vacation at hire, public employee retirement, deferred comp, 4.6 hours sick accumulated per pay.
I'm going to be looking for a trainee probably after July with zero experience that will be capable of training on the job until they reach 1 years experience and can get their class 1. I'm going to start out at least $15/hr, and will be at least $21/hr at a year if they get the class 1. I can't do the 42, but it is a much more rural setting where I'm at, and things are a lot cheaper.
Also, the family insurance plan is provided at no cost to employee. Office visits are $20. There is $2500 deductible, of which $2000 is reimbursed through a flex bank plan. Also, my employer provides an additional few "holidays". One being a fair day so you can take family to local fair, or just take it off, plus we get day after Thanksgiving, and half day Christmas eve and good Friday. It's a pretty good gig!
Sounds like a pretty good opportunity. My wife went back to school and is finishing her teaching credential this year, we also have a little one on the way. We'd love to get out of California but it looks like it'll still be a couple years...

Sounds like a pretty good opportunity. My wife went back to school and is finishing her teaching credential this year, we also have a little one on the way. We'd love to get out of California but it looks like it'll still be a couple years...
My wife is a 6th grade Math/Science teacher. Teaching is the toughest job there is! Good luck to you both and congrats on the little one.

I am a CPA. Most of my time is tax and accounting work for small to medium sized businesses. But end up doing a lot of other tax work this time of year. Which reminds me, I should probably get back to work.

Client Manager in the environmental consulting industry. In my free time I love developing programs to get kids into the outdoors.

Retired now. Worked as Gen. Foreman of Ironworkers building plants and refineries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back