Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Whats your guess on score

phutch30

34 days of hunting sheep in my unit pretty confident ive looked over most if not all of the rams...30 to date....here are likely the two biggest left in the unit. There very similiar rams., both are broomed on same side both are 9ish...The other tag holder shot a dandy.

Note--theres only two sheep here...2nd and 4th are the same ram

Attachments

• 34159.jpeg
    34159.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 1118201106.jpg
    1118201106.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 34157.jpeg
    34157.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 32622.jpeg
    32622.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
34 days of hunting sheep in my unit pretty confident ive looked over most if not all of the rams...30 to date....here are likely the two biggest left in the unit. There very similiar rams., both are broomed on same side both are 9ish...The other tag holder shot a dandy.

I'm not an expert like @Oak , @Bambistew , or @Greenhorn but those look to be in the 160-70 range to me. If they are the two biggest in the unit I wouldn't waste any time.

If you can kill one and load it whole in the back of the truck... id probably shoot the other and at least try to make it a challenge.

Sheep hunting is a whole lot more than what it scores. Shoot the one that looks the best or makes you feel less guilty on how easy it si. An extra inch or two doesn't mean shit, and certainly wouldn't be the deciding factor for me to pull the trigger. I find that most every sheep hunter I talk with that has taken 1-2 rams, the first thing they want to tell me about their sheep is the score. I could give two shits what it scores, I want to know about the hunt. Did you shoot it in a pasteur off the mirror, or did the packout take 3 days. Unless we're talking WR contender, the score is just the score and doesn't' mean anything to anyone but the guy pulling the trigger.

If you can kill one and load it whole in the back of the truck... id probably shoot the other and at least try to make it a challenge.

Sheep hunting is a whole lot more than what it scores. Shoot the one that looks the best or makes you feel less guilty on how easy it si. An extra inch or two doesn't mean shit, and certainly wouldn't be the deciding factor for me to pull the trigger. I find that most every sheep hunter I talk with that has taken 1-2 rams, the first thing they want to tell me about their sheep is the score. I could give two shits what it scores, I want to know about the hunt. Did you shoot it in a pasteur off the mirror, or did the packout take 3 days. Unless we're talking WR contender, the score is just the score and doesn't' mean anything to anyone but the guy pulling the trigger.
Im not asking which one to shoot, Im simply asking for opinions on score.

Im not asking which one to shoot, Im simply asking for opinions on score.
Sorry, I assumed you were going to shoot the bigger of the two based on score, and hunting for 34 days and finding 30 rams. I've heard this story before, and it always starts with my ram scored xxx inches. I'd shoot the bedded ram, he looks nicer and older. And again, the score makes zero difference IMO.

I’m trying to work out how you could go 34 days of hunting and not shoot either of them yet!

I’m trying to work out how you could go 34 days of hunting and not shoot either of them yet!

Wanted to see what was in the unit and have a lot of time to look so I have been waiting to see what would show up. I personally don't like the looks of either ram..I wanted either a big heavy ram that was broomed or a wide flaring ram...I don't like the unevenness of one broomed and one with tips..looking for an "either or" the issue is there arnt many mature rams. Theres these two and then the next segment of "older rams is around 6yrs old. The one in the hayfield broomed off sometime in Aug.

Wanted to see what was in the unit and have a lot of time to look so I have been waiting to see what would show up. I personally don't like the looks of either ram..I wanted either a big heavy ram that was broomed or a wide flaring ram...I don't like the unevenness of one broomed and one with tips..looking for an "either or" the issue is there arnt many mature rams. Theres these two and then the next segment of "older rams is around 6yrs old. The one in the hayfield broomed off sometime in Aug.
Sorry, my comment was tongue in cheek but didnt come across. It was meant that I would be ecstatic with any mature ram.

Back