Whats your 2019 plans

duckhunt

Almost time to start applying for next fall. Whats everybody going to put in for?

Heres my list

Wyoming sept antelope doe
Wyoming oct mule deer
Iowa early muzzle loader
Iowa archery
Iowa late muzzle loader doe

Wyoming antelope PP
Wyoming elk PP
Colorado elk PP

My Iowa tags are over the counter. Wyoming mule deer was 100% last year with 1 point so i should be good on that one. Wyoming antelope doe was a little over 50% so keeping my fingers crossed.

Looks like a good season!

My schedule:

Early January: Indiana antlerless whitetail w/the kids, misc. small game
February: Texas hogs, hosted by a friend
April/early May: Indiana turkey
Late May: POW bear

October-December: Indiana whitetail

Wildcard(s): Longshot Wyoming elk application
Definite deer hunt somewhere, Arizona Coues if solo, Montana if partner wants in

Burn my Wyoming points on antelope and mulies.
Keep building CO points for deer and elk
Hunt whitetails in SW VA
Maybe hunt southern Ohio, never been but it is otc
Got invited to buddies hunting camp in Adirondacks, like to be able to squeeze that in

Plan A: Put in for a type 6 cow tag in Wyoming if drawn put in for 2 type 6 antelope tags and spend Sept. 14-29 chasing critters in a beautiful state. Then head back home and chase antelope with my bow in Oklahoma from Oct. 1-4. As for deer in Oklahoma OTC tags 2 buck 4 doe and I'm sure I'll spend plenty of time chasing them with bow, muzzleloader, and gun from Oct. 1st to Jan. 15th.

Those will probably be my 2 western hunts for the year but I'll still apply for:
New Mexico: sheep, elk, deer, and antelope.
Colorado: moose, sheep, and goat.
Idaho: moose.
Also Texas and Oklahoma controlled hunts.

And buy points for.
Colorado: deer, elk, antelope
Wyoming: deer, elk, antelope
South Dakota: antelope, bison, deer.

Of course my whole plan counts on me drawing my type 6 elk tag that was sitting right below %50 odds last year. If I don't draw plan A I guess I'll have to get to work on Plan B. I'm really going to miss Wyomings early elk applications it was nice knowing if you had your WY tag before most other states even open there draw. Oh well improvise adapt and overcome.

Last edited:
I'm putting in for:
New Mexico archery elk for my main "wishful thinking" hunt
Kentucky elk, Maine moose as my "powerball" options
Wyoming mule deer as a sure thing with my PP unless I draw the NM
tag
Points in Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and Montana
Points in South Dakota for deer/bison

And finally I want to spend more time in Shawnee SF here at home, get in deep and find some places no one wants to go for deer/turkey. I want to treat it like a western hunt. Go in, camp, hunt.

We should draw a good central WY antelope tag. That'll be it outside of MT aside from collecting more points. Other than that, I'm hoping to start doing more bowhunting for deer than I have recently and archery elk if there's time. Always have to get the dog out to chase roosters as much as possible and shoot some geese. This will probably all change when I draw my breaks sheep tag though.

Hunt for elk and deer here in Idaho.
Apply for antelope here in Idaho.
Buy a PP for Wyoming antelope in anticipation of future hunt with Devon Deer.

August: WA bear
Sept: WA deer, WY elk
Oct: either WY lope or ID deer (depending on draw)
Nov: super long shot at WA elk

PP is a lot of other locations.

I have one more year of coaching youth football then I will open back up. In 2020 I will be doing a archery elk hunt.

Iowa Archery
Iowa Gun (I really don't know what season yet, in fact I still haven't purchased a gun tag here yet so it will most likely be late muzzy)
Wisconsin Whitetail rifle. Family hunt more about family less about deer.

I want to get back into some ducks next year. This is the first year in a long time I didn't have at least 1 good hunt. I shot 1 duck this year.

Hunting out west won't work for me next year so I'm planning an August AK fishing trip, instead.

I'll still put in for pretty much every state, but I'll put in for hunts with <1% draw odds and worry about it later if I draw.

Spring 2019: Montana Turkey, MT Bear, ID Turkey, MT Spartan Race Beast somewhere in the mix
Fall 2019: Standard MT tags depending on if I draw, probably R7 Antelope

This year I might make it somewhere for a dove hunt otherwise no out-of-state big game

Coues hunt in Mexico in January
Pending a good winter I will likely cash in CO deer points.
If I don't go to CO for deer I may cash in my WY antelope points.
Hunting deer, antelope, and elk in MT

Hopefully these plans change when I draw a sheep tag in MT or elk tag in AZ, UT, or NM.

Dall sheep august
Potentially caribou somewhere pending time
Fly out moose hunt
May go griz hunting over bou.
Potentially Montana for deer/elk

Having to juggle two lifetime hunts at the same time - beating out 99.5% of applicants and hunting sheep in MT HD 622 AND hitting the SW MT Mtn. Goat draw after umpteen years of unsuc. - during which time also getting dogs into the high country for blues. Oh yeah, and floating the Yellowstone and Madison hunting for hooked jawed spawning Browns.
Looks like September is booked.
Next, for October......................................................................................................................

Dall sheep august
Potentially caribou somewhere pending time
Fly out moose hunt
May go griz hunting over bou.
Potentially Montana for deer/elk

I think dall sheep would be the absolute hunt of a lifetime. Unfortunately I would never be able to afford it.

My apps:
Top tier WY elk, sheep, and moose units
Mid tier WY antelope and deer units
Guaranteed WY cow elk

Boat loads of upland birds - blues and sharpies in CO; pheasants, sharpies, and huns in ND; chukars, blues, sharpies, and sage grouse in WY. The ND trip may or may not include a massacre of delicious feral pigeons.

Almost time to start applying for next fall. Whats everybody going to put in for?

Heres my list

Wyoming sept antelope doe
Wyoming oct mule deer
Iowa early muzzle loader
Iowa archery
Iowa late muzzle loader doe

Wyoming antelope PP
Wyoming elk PP
Colorado elk PP

My Iowa tags are over the counter. Wyoming mule deer was 100% last year with 1 point so i should be good on that one. Wyoming antelope doe was a little over 50% so keeping my fingers crossed.

How do you do early AND late muzzleloader in Iowa? Is that now legal? It wasn't years ago.

Fitting Wyoming muledeer round early muzzleloader can be a bit challenging - at least it would have been for me this year, but then I do the late season anyway.

I'm hoping on having a dream season. One MT general deer tag and numerous mule deer doe tags all for the Custer. I can already envision them in my truck box stacked high. #MySEMThunt

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back