Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What's the minimum amount of time you'd consider for an archery Mule Deer hunt?

AtenJones

I'm planning out 2019, and I'm considering trying to double up on hunts this year. I live in Ohio, so the biggest issue I face is making the actual trip out and back. I have the points to draw a Utah general archery hunt for Mule Deer, and I'm also considering a Colorado OTC elk hunt. In a perfect world I'd devote at least a week to each one, but work and family isn't going to let that happen this year. However - I've thought about driving to Utah, hunting deer for 3-4 days, and then stopping in Colorado for 4 more days of elk on my way back home. Think that's enough time? Or would I be better off just focusing a full week on one species/location? The Utah General tag is so affordable that it makes way more sense to try it while I'm already out west, instead of trying to make two trips. Thanks!

Spend the time on one hunt. No way is 3-4 days enough time to fill a tag, IMO. Might take that long to find one.

Spend the time on one hunt. No way is 3-4 days enough time to fill a tag, IMO. Might take that long to find one.

This. I've done 3-4 day archery elk hunts, and I always left feeling I had cheated myself.

Don't do two hunts. I made that mistake this year. I drew two tags. The first was a CO elk tag that I burned 4 points on (but could be drawn with 3). The second was Wyoming mule deer that I burned 5 points on. I could not enjoy the elk hunt because I felt too much pressure to get it done so that I could hunt deer knowing that with point creep I'd have a LOOONG wait if I ever wanted to draw the tag again. The elk hunt proved to be tougher than anticipated and I bailed early to spend more time deer hunting. I decided it would be the last time I ever planned two hunts in one trip. Now, if you go with the mindset that the OTC elk tag isn't important to you, it's an option you could certainly leave open. Just don't have your heart set on doing both.

Now, if you go with the mindset that the OTC elk tag isn't important to you, it's an option you could certainly leave open. Just don't have your heart set on doing both.

I actually hadn't even considered this somehow. Perhaps I could do the Mule Deer hunt as my priority. If I tag out in a couple days, I can always just stop at a gas station in Colorado and pick up an OTC elk tag on my way home. But, if I find I'm really loving the Mule hunt, and need to spend a couple more days there, then I can just skip the elk, and spend the remaining time on the Mule Deer.

I plan multiple hunts each year and I put 5 days on each, and add a weekend if possible. I've found that to be enough time to usually get things done or learn the area enough to know what to expect. I would only do shorter if I had been there before and had been successful. If you are travelling out here, don't short change yourself, you owe it to the animal and experience to give it an honest effort.

That is how it played out last week in Colorado for my archery mule deer hunt. Four days was enough to find some deer and have a couple stalks, but needed more time or needed to get flat out lucky. That said, it sure was four days of fun.

I second what everyone is saying above I like to have at least 5 days because otherwise I'd feel short changed as well. I've done a quick 3-4 day hunt but it was an area that I had prior knowledge of and while I got a shot opportunity I still wish I had more time.

No less than 7 days for deer and no less than a 12 days for elk. Its too far for me to go to justify any less. Those days are hunting boots on the ground days. Not counting drive time in there obviously.

I actually hadn't even considered this somehow. Perhaps I could do the Mule Deer hunt as my priority. If I tag out in a couple days, I can always just stop at a gas station in Colorado and pick up an OTC elk tag on my way home. But, if I find I'm really loving the Mule hunt, and need to spend a couple more days there, then I can just skip the elk, and spend the remaining time on the Mule Deer.

This is certainly a viable option. I don't know if it is doable in the fact of tagging out in time to make the OTC elk worth it, but sometimes luck is on our side.

I tried to get into archery hunting and finally stopped because it always felt like I needed a least a week to do an archery hunt justice and a full week has been hard to come by while raising a family. It was taking me 3-4 days to find a buck/bull then a day or two to pattern then a couple of days to pull off a stalk. I'd recommend what others have said that you pick one hunt and give it a week.

Good luck to you!

trying to do too much at once and you end up doing nothing. Pick one and devote the time to it. I generally have a plan b that is in place I for the rare event that I arrow an animal really early. Has it happened yes, but its not something to count on.

I always advocate doing one thing well rather than two things poorly. But I'm not you.

I would be concerned with how I was going to keep that mule deer on ice while hunting elk.

If I were you I would commit my full 8 days to the Utah deer hunt. If you happen to tag out early then you can swing by CO and hunt OTC elk picking up a tag once you're in state. I wouldn't plan on splitting 8 days between 2 hunts in different states. If you do both, you'll have a blast but you'll certainly feel like you were shorted. Best of luck!

Don't forget to include time to pack an animal out, if you're solo you should commit 2 days for an elk pack out. Leaves you 2 days to find em and shoot em tops...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back