Whats the dumbest thing you've done hunting ?!?!?!

Moosie

Grand poopa
I remember in New Zealand that I started to climb a vertical face gonig after Tahr.. After a while when I grabed a rock that sliped out and I watched it roll forever down the hill, I realized I was in a spot I didn't want to be..... I could have been killed or WORSE ... (Worse meaning falling an breaking crap up and getting the wrath of my wife ;))

That was somethnig I shouldn't have gotten into...

only was married for a year and had april and my sister drop me off on the top of the highway in sedona .. I was going fishing while they went shopping.. straight down about 2000 feet was the creek... I climbed down with no problems... I started fishing and happened to see some baby duck swimming in the creek.... Well this was something that I just had to take home... so I dropped the pole and started chasing them.... I lasted about 20 feet when a Branch from a tree hit me in the eyeball....
I woke up in the river with blood and crap all over me and a stick sticking out my eye about 3"(it was in at least 2") I am 3+ miles from the highway not to mention a 2000 foot straight up hike....
I finally made it to the top and sat on the side of the road waiting for help.... a few people stopped but left when the saw me(geeze I wonder why) no one called the parameics or nothing... what seemed like a life time was more like 1 hour..... My sister had a funny feeling something had happened so they cut there trip short.. they found me on the side of the road...

I got in the car and april drove me to a firestation.. they refused to help and or take me to a hospitol.. they told april to drive me up to flagstaff it would be faster for her than them.....

So I spent 2 days in the hospitol while they got an eye surgeon to fly in and pull it out.... was one painful experiance....

Delw

My eye's are watering just reading that.:eek:
Dumbest things?? Where to start, where to start...
Lets see. Doe's crawling up the sides of mountains looking for deer on ground that mountain goats couldn't travers and eaglers really didn't want to land, does that count. How about walking thru the mountains doing 20-25 miles a day looking for some thing to shoot, by myself, that if I had actually shot some thing, would have probably went bad by the time I had gotten it out. Or leaving into areas that no one knows where I'm actually at or when I should be comming home. Well give a week one way or another. How about having one in the chamber, crawling thru brush and the safty for some reason not being on. then having the gun go off some four inches behind one's ear. Fishing in the back country with a dull knife and almost cutting a finger half off trying to wack the head off a fish, putting bandaids on then just finishing out the day fishing. I still have the scar to prove that one. My step mom almost sh!t when she saw that booboo!!! Nothing matches what Delw did, but I suppose that which don't kill us, only makes us stronger...
Oh! yea! I almost forgot the one where one takes a tree stand a mile off the road, sets up and is in there first thing in the morning with out harness of course. Then almost falls asleep and was very close to doing the rough and tumble out of the stand. The only thing that saved me was a branch I grabbed just before tumbling 20 foot thru space and a week and a half before I was expected back.... :D :D :D
AAAHHH!!! The fond memories!!! :D :D :D

I was driving into place to hunt and drove off the road while looking at a moose and I had no jack or comealong. So I decided took walk out and get help so I locked up the truck and headed out got help came back to the truck and the keys were still insideso I did the best thing and broke out the little part of the slider to get in. as I was driving on down the rode I rememberd the hide key.

I have never........

The dumbest thing I have ever done while hunting occured last fall. My dad didn't want to go hunting so he dropped me off on some property we have permission to hunt. I hit "The Fork". The fork is where the deer from one side of the property join with the others to head down to the pond during the night to get a drink. I was thinking of taking the right side but saw fresh tracks on the left side. About thirty minutes later I hit "The Rock Wall." My dad and I have seen bucks from here that were in excess of 24", and for California that is GIANT!!!! I got comfortable and started to glass with my binoculars. It wasn't long until I caught movement in the trees across the meadow. It was a coyote, I was debating on whether or not to shoot it when it started to just kinda trot over the ridge. About an hour later it was starting to cool down and all of a sudden about 75 yards in front of me I saw something brown walk into the trees. I slowly eased my way over to see what it was. The low branches was going to make for a hard shot should it be a buck. I kept creeping when it busted out of the trees about 50 yards in front of me, in an instant I pulled up my gun, it gave me just enough time to see if it had horns, and it did. I stopped and listened. The snapping of leaves and branches told me he had stopped. I slowly eased up to where I had last seen him. I got to that spot and looked around, and there about 100 yards down the hill staring right at me was this buck, but I didn't have a good shot. So I took two steps to the right when all of a sudden I tripped on what I thought was a root. After the deer took off I was pissed. Well I looked down at my "root" and I couldn't believe what it was. It was my very first deer shed I had ever found, and it was a good one, a 4pt. that scores about 55". If you doubled it and put a 15" inside spread you would have a California book blacktail. Oh well, maybe this year that buck will be bigger and I won't trip over any deer sheds. LOL.

Later, Greg. :D :D

While on my first elk hunt i put down an Elk but it was still alive so i done what daddy always said to do. cut its throat so thinking that if i was at the back of its head and holding the antler with one hand no way this thing could get to me Wrong it kicked its hind leg over its head and in the middle of my back that sent me ass end over tea cup while laying on ground yelled at my friend SHOOT THAT SON-OF-A-BITCH lucky it didn't hit me in the head or break my back

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-01-2002 19:21: Message edited by: jig maker ]</font>

HAHA Jigmaker.. that hurts I did that last year with my little elk... the thing knocked the wind out of me big time.. I was sore for weeks....

Delw

While out fishing the river one day, I spotted a big bass in the shallows of a oxbow type pond. I was sneaking up close enough to toss a top water plug at him when I tripped over a "log" that I hadn't seen. The bass spooked, so I looked back, and the "log" was a five foot rattelsnake. It never ratteled or nothing, just cralled away.

i beleived Oscar when he told me that the sign said .5 miles to the next road, remeber that Oscar?????? after about a ten mile roundtrip hike we inspected that sign again and realzed it was the friggin bolt that held th sign up! :rolleyes: oh, yea we were trying to find where my buddy ,who was now lost had parked the truck! oh yea then it started to rain :( and then a mud slide closed the road on both ends of tiny town where we had our base camp and knocked-out all the power :( ,oh yea, then we were about out of gas and still had to find Dave! so with no power guess what, no gas! :( unless ya talk the local gas station owners into breaking out the hand pump for ya!
(good thing moosie knew them) so after cranking out about 10 gal. we were good to go! then the real shitter! this all took place on sept. 10th and we woke-up to the tragedy of sept. 11!!! :mad: so one of the dumbest things turned into one of the worst days! looking back ill never forget where i was on the 11th!

Now there's a hard luck story if I ever heard one.....At least you came out of it alive...There is some thing to be said for that... :D

I almost shot my right foot off. Mr. 21 year old self-styled expert on everything(that was me) borrows an old Fox-Stevens 16 guage side by side on the night before the spring turkey opener. I'd read all about turkey hunting in a couple of magazines so I was pretty much an expert. I just had to kill one to prove it.

Walking down a steep hillside into the woods in the pitch dark, carrying an unfamiliar loaded, gun cradled in the crook of my right arm while wearing cotton jersey gloves (camo of course), Mr Expert here slips and almost drops this unfamiliar shotgun. Instinctively grabbing the gun, the cotton gloves provide little grip. Then the squeezing hand finally finds purchase on something solid...the triggers...BOOM!!!! Both barrels. High brass #4's

Stupid-ass me got the tang safety backwards. I had powder burns along the outstep of my right foot just forward of the ankle bone. Another inch or two and I'm sure I'd have lost my foot. I just turned around and went home, shaking the whole way. At least I didn't piss my pants.

I still owe my guardian angel a beer for that day.

Sometimes the dumb stay lucky long enough to actually learn something.

So many things and not enough hours to type them...

A funny one... Attempting to check the heartbeat of a whitetail buck my friend had just shot to see if it was still alive. We couldn't find a bullet hole. I rested my ear on his chest... and the buck came to and kicked me in the face.

Well it wasn't me it was my uncle, but we're dear hunting up behind Pleasant when my uncle drops this nice 4X4 muley. He walks up to it to bleed it out,throws his leg across the bucks neck, grabs the antlers and jerks it's head up. Right then the buck comes to and jumps up with my uncle on his back. I was only about 8 years old but I can still see my uncle stabbing that deer in the neck screaming, DON"T SHOOT, DON"T SHOOT, as he did the muledeer rodeo. It finally bucked him off after about 50 yds. We found the deer about 1\4 mile away. We counted 26 puncture wounds in it's neck.

J.D.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back