Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's on the smoker today?

Thanks for bringing this up. Which electric smoker did you go with?
I got a 30 inch Masterbuilt and I got it like 5 years ago and it has served me well so far and I can't complain other than it is smaller so there are certain things that are harder to do or can't be done in it. Other than that though, it's been great. While I can't compare pellet to electric, like a few of the others here have done, no one I have even had over or taken smoked meat too said anything other than good things about the taste...etc..etc. I'm not here to say it's the best thing, I only wanted to mention the cost difference because it's a big one IMO. It's just something to think about. For me it was not worth the initial cost and the cost of those pellets to grill and smoke over time...I just plug mine in and away I ago ! I got mine for xmas and I think at that time is was on sale for like $120 bucks....and the chips are cheap. Now go price out a pellet and total up the usage of those pellets over time....it's not cheap and for me, I make good smoked things in my Masterbuilt so the cost was not worth a pellet grill. I just did not want to pay all that cost and find out it's hardly any different than my electric smoker :). To each their own though...I'm glad others enjoy their pellet grills.

I use an offset. I have some access to wood for it. I can smoke as well as grill with it. Do I have to babysit it? Yup. I figure it's all part of what it takes and if it turns out great I can take all the credit! I thought about a pellet smoker and decided to save my money and spend it on meat.

big green egg for me. grills, smoked, cooks about every way I possibly want. uses lump charcoal or woof. best part I'd that you close it up when you are done, and reuse your charcoal till it burs up.

Having used both, the product results at the end are definitely not the same. IMO the Electric smoker puts out junk compared to a pellet. My entire circle who had electric ditched them when they tried the difference.

Cheaper is not better
I could never get anything close to a decent smoke ring with an electric smoker. I think that's because they are basically an overgrown Easy Bake Oven that uses smoke for flavoring, as opposed to wood being the actual source of combustion. I'm pretty happy with the smoke rings my Trager delivers.

My wife drew one of our Oklahoma controlled hunts this year that opens tomorrow. Her sister is spending tge night and watching the kids for us while we are gone tomorrow. She requested pulled pork in exchange for her baby sitting. Put on this shoulder last night around 11pm at 180 degrees. The pic was taken around noon right before wrapping it. Should be done soon.20231208_125211.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back