Caribou Gear Tarp

What's on the smoker today?

State Fair Style Turkey Legs and a Cornish Game Hen. Mesquite and apple mix. Also going to grill up some bbq chicken wings and drumsticks for my 5 yr olds Bday today (his dinner request) been smoking since 10 and i expect they’ll be finished around 4ish.

Attachments

• 76B84754-A317-4F94-B43F-3204CC0C43A3.jpeg
    76B84754-A317-4F94-B43F-3204CC0C43A3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
After all the bomb chicken wings I couldn’t bare to eat the smoker food. They didn’t hit temp til about an hour ago and the leg fell right off the game hen when I tried to lift it. Thru them in a big ziploc to eat for lunch tomorrow lol

Attachments

• 3EC82A9F-2E12-4088-A79C-8C58287E6309.jpeg
    3EC82A9F-2E12-4088-A79C-8C58287E6309.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • E24E0113-6E87-45D4-A32C-D14ADC490429.jpeg
    E24E0113-6E87-45D4-A32C-D14ADC490429.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
So I was just pulling out a tri-tip to thaw for tomorrow and in the freezer is a 8# whole Boston Butt roast.
With the monsoons here and no roof to get under yet with the smoker, I am looking at the 4th and forecast.
60% chance of showers,maybe. If I start early maybe...a tarp leanto cover.
I want to try smoking this whole thing and looking for recipes . Checking out wrapping in foil or paper.
Thought I'd ask here before diving into YT vids.
Rub and slow roast?
I can sure eat some pulled pork or carnitas. Carnitas is a favorite of mine.
I have never delved into the whole southern smoked bbq methods with cider sprays and such. Paper wraps.
How long will a 8# butt take to roast @ 200-220 or? 8hrs? 12?14? Get it to 135 and wrap in foil? Rest an hour?

Open to ideas.

So I was just pulling out a tri-tip to thaw for tomorrow and in the freezer is a 8# whole Boston Butt roast.
With the monsoons here and no roof to get under yet with the smoker, I am looking at the 4th and forecast.
I want to try smoking this whole thing and looking for recipes . Checking out wrapping in foil or paper.
Rub and slow roast?
I have never delved into the whole southern smoked bbq methods with cider sprays and such. Paper wraps.
How long will a 8# butt take to roast @ 200-220 or? 8hrs? 12?14? Get it to 135 and wrap in foil? Rest an hour?

Open to ideas.
Imo it's really hard to mess up pork shoulder. I go pretty heavy on the salt and pepper then add some cumin chili powder and garlic powder. I smoke at around 325 for around 4 hrs. At this point I would wrap and then i cheat and put it in the oven at 350. I don't see the point in running the smoker when the meat is wrapped. Take it to 200 internal and let it rest for n hr to let the juice soak back in and its not burning your hands as your pulling. Dont think you can mess it up.

Carnitas is the plan now for the 4th.
Cut into large chunks & season, smoke .
4 hrs in the smoker and another covered in the pan with the onions ,bay & garlic, veggie stock in bottom of pan for moisture.
Tacos.

Tri- tip with fresh salsa tomorrow.

4 hrs in the smoker and another covered in the pan with the onions ,bay & garlic, veggie stock in bottom of pan for moisture.
Tacos.

Yum. mtmuley

Tacos.

Sounds like a great plan!!
Are you smoking the tri-tip or grilling it?

I’ve got 2 tri-tips ready for the 4th. Been aging a little over a month now.

Sounds like a great plan!!
Are you smoking the tri-tip or grilling it?

I’ve got 2 tri-tips ready for the 4th. Been aging a little over a month now.
On the smoker for an hr,just smoke. Just turned it up to 220 and put some rice on. When it hits 125-130 I will crank it up to H & sear.
Green chile marinade & SF rub.

The gas grill is way back up now.

Rub and slow roast?

Open to ideas.
Hank, we did a 7# at 200, no Texas crutch and it took 15 hours. Pulled at 198. No doubt you could wrap it when it hits the stall around 150 or so and take off hours. We have the peach paper but only use it on brisket.
EDIT: Oops, should have read the next post. The carnitas look great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back