Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's on the smoker today?

Looks like I have a window to smoke this morning, so I am getting ready to cut up the pork butt into chunks to season for carnitas.
Basic salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, mex. oregano, oregano, and of course some NM chile powder. Rub to coat and then on the smoker for an hour for the flavor.
I'll cut up onions to put in bottom of pans with garlic & bay leaves, place chunks across onions and and chicken stock . Cover with foil and bake at 225 for 4 hrs to start. Check to get the pull, pull apart and then pull the cover back and crank it up to 350, to get some crust on top.
My own variation on a standard NM recipe in the oven.
Maybe put on a pot of pintos.
It's going to pour again today. But the sun is out now.

Eastern NC,,, Western NC,,, or some variation?
I have no idea. I got it from an old video of Grillin' and Chillin' from Jack McDavid. Back before Bobby Flay was famous. It has vinegar, brown sugar, sage, chipotle, and jalapeno in the sauce if that helps.

I have no idea. I got it from an old video of Grillin' and Chillin' from Jack McDavid. Back before Bobby Flay was famous. It has vinegar, brown sugar, sage, chipotle, and jalapeno in the sauce if that helps.

Ketchup?

Western (Lexington style) has ketchup (catsup, tomato paste) in it

Fun “discussion” here in NC

Last edited:
Ketchup?

Western (Lexington style) has ketchup (catsup, tomato paste) in it

Fun “discussion” here in NC
Nope, no ketchup. And I can see I inadvertently stumbled into a touchy "discussion". Happens when you don't pre-scout.

View attachment 228620View attachment 228621View attachment 228622
NM 4th with thunderstorm in background and rain.
Most tender tasty carnitas I've had. Sorry Nana, Rio agrees.
Those look awesome Hank!

I do smoked pulled pork carnitas tacos several meals a week. My process isn’t classic “carnitas” style and is less sweet than traditional carnitas, but more smokey. I essentially just do the smoked pork shoulder as if you’re doing pulled pork. I salt it first and the dry rub with equal parts brown sugar and smoked paprika with lesser amounts of cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder. Smoke at 225-250 until it hits 165 degrees, then wrap in butcher paper until it hits 200-205. Butcher paper preserves the bark better, IMO than foil. I spritz with a 50/50 mix of apple juice or cider and apple cider vinegar before wrapping. Usually takes ~15 hrs to fully cook 2 large shoulders.

After letting it rest a few hours in a cooler, I pull it apart, eat ample amounts right off the bone and then bag it up in quart sized ziplocks and freeze it. I always have one thawed in the fridge that I’ll use for carnitas, pulled pork sandwiches, pork nachos, etc.

For carnitas tacos, I heat a cast iron skillet with some bacon grease and then throw in a handful of the pulled pork to crispen it. When crisp I cut the heat off and pull it to the side of the pan and add either some all natural ginger beer or some margarita to add some moisture and sweetness. Then I put it into soft street taco shells with my favorite complements - either chopped or pickled red opinion, fresh cilantro, jalapeño and avocado with some cotija cheese and salsa or pico. I’ll get 2-3 meals a week for 2-3 months from one smoking session.

3BFEFB51-93EC-4C23-B454-25EF68F9B652.jpeg

Nope, no ketchup. And I can see I inadvertently stumbled into a touchy "discussion". Happens when you don't pre-scout.

excellent - Eastern style,,,

it get's humorous here when you pull in folks from across the state for grillin' and chillin' ,,,folks get right boisterous on their preferences,, I then pull out the South Carolina style (mustard based) and really blow their minds,,,

me? I like them all,,, I say it's cause I have a taste for all good things,,, my Wife says it's cause I eat anything, just like a bear,,,,

Those look awesome Hank!

I do smoked pulled pork carnitas tacos several meals a week. My process isn’t classic “carnitas” style and is less sweet than traditional carnitas, but more smokey. I essentially just do the smoked pork shoulder as if you’re doing pulled pork. I salt it first and the dry rub with equal parts brown sugar and smoked paprika with lesser amounts of cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder. Smoke at 225-250 until it hits 165 degrees, then wrap in butcher paper until it hits 200-205. Butcher paper preserves the bark better, IMO than foil. I spritz with a 50/50 mix of apple juice or cider and apple cider vinegar before wrapping. Usually takes ~15 hrs to fully cook 2 large shoulders.

After letting it rest a few hours in a cooler, I pull it apart, eat ample amounts right off the bone and then bag it up in quart sized ziplocks and freeze it. I always have one thawed in the fridge that I’ll use for carnitas, pulled pork sandwiches, pork nachos, etc.

For carnitas tacos, I heat a cast iron skillet with some bacon grease and then throw in a handful of the pulled pork to crispen it. When crisp I cut the heat off and pull it to the side of the pan and add either some all natural ginger beer or some margarita to add some moisture and sweetness. Then I put it into soft street taco shells with my favorite complements - either chopped or pickled red opinion, fresh cilantro, jalapeño and avocado with some cotija cheese and salsa or pico. I’ll get 2-3 meals a week for 2-3 months from one smoking session.

View attachment 228667
Nice.
I did have smoked paprika in my rub, I just forgot to mention it. Very important in my rubs, like the chile powder.
Until the porches go up and the roofs over them I am limited this monsoon season. I had a limited window yesterday in the morning.
I am going to divide it up in small ziplocks for future use. Rio and I are set for a couple days.
The grill method for the crust is what I have seen used many times after oven cooking.

Just getting started in my modern smoker career. I'm an old oak/fruitwood fire cooker/griller adapting to NM.

Finally sliced into my brisket. 14.5 hours of smoke run between 200-225 the entire time. Possibly the best brisket I've done (and I've done quite a few). There was barely any left after everyone got done with it last night.

Attachments

• 7.4 brisket.jpg
    7.4 brisket.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 7
Not to derail the thread, but Kamado Joe II are $200 off at Costco right now. Under $1000. Buy one or not? My Masterbuilt Gravity Feed is toast right now (second time) so I’m down to just a Masterbuilt electric which is less than optimal.

Edit: Specifically looking for opinions on using Kamado Joe for smoking vs. grilling.

I got a homegrown brisket flat, and a whole bostone but that lost their vaccum and couldn't be sold going right now @225. I wrapped the brisket after 2 hrs, and will wrap the butt in another hour or so

Operation freezer clean out is underway before this fall. Rump roast and a chuck roast. Chuck roast will smoke for a while then sit at 250 for 5-6 hours. Rump roast will smoke the same then go in a Dutch oven with a little liquid for the same time and temp.
3B882E4E-63FE-4C00-B911-371A3852E1B6.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back