Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Whats for Breakfast?

ThunderNocked

What are some decent breakfast alternatives?
I have mostly just done instant Oatmeal - but I know that there are better options. We did ATV's for a hunt and brought in breakfast burritos (homemade) and they were fantastic but not ideal for back country.
I have tried the Mountain House Granola, eggs and biscuits and gravy.

There is some fairly local Barley which is supposed to be better then oatmeal - and then i could dehydrate my own apples and add spices. But what else is out there? What do you guys do that you can use with a jetboil that is better then the Freeze Dried and Instant Oatmeals?
Thanks!

I’ve never tried any non freeze dried alternatives for backpacking.

I usually just do coffee and a honey stinger waffle if the weather is nice. I sometimes feel like a candyass, but when it’s cold I really like having hot food. Mountain house breakfast skillet or biscuits and gravy hits the spot on those days.

Last year on our Sheep Hunt I brought MH Granola and Oatmeal. I had Black Rifle CC Instant Coffee, and then I also had Kirkland precooked bacon in a vacuum sealed bag. I'd boil with water with the bag in it, and get piping hot bacon with my coffee and oatmeal/Granola.
The Bacon was a fantastic idea, I just cut quart size bags into 4 bags and then sealed all the extra sides. But I was thinking about something else. I like the coffee and Waffle idea - I have tried a couple of those stingers and they are pretty good.

I like the idea of doing a homemade bar but I also really like hot food and since I'm already boiling water for coffee I don't see the reason why not to boil two cups.

Bobo's oatmeal bars and coffee after I'm set up in my glassing spot, I carry a MT House dehydrated breakfast in case I'm not seeing animals to get after or feeling extra hungry.

I had Black Rifle CC Instant Coffee, and then I also had Kirkland precooked bacon in a vacuum sealed bag. I'd boil with water with the bag in it, and get piping hot bacon with my coffee and oatmeal/Granola.

Going to steal this, but heat the bacon in the coffee water before brewing...plus if the bacon bag leaks you'll have bacon-flavored coffee! Win-win!

A wall tent with bacon and eggs is mo’ beta than anything. Times infinity.
I think I agree with this. I guess I'm wondering more if you are in a small tent in the back country with a JetBoil? LOL.

I could try to warm up the burrito in boiling water if I vacuum sealed it possible...

Going to steal this, but heat the bacon in the coffee water before brewing...plus if the bacon bag leaks you'll have bacon-flavored coffee! Win-win!
I did it with the Oatmeal coffee so worst case scenario i had a little bacon flavor in my oatmeal.

I had a buddy give me the idea - he brings two strips of bacon for each meal. Light weight, great taste, good calories. I didn't go that far but not a bad idea. Just more trash to pack out if you can't burn it.

I think I agree with this. I guess I'm wondering more if you are in a small tent in the back country with a JetBoil? LOL.

I could try to warm up the burrito in boiling water if I vacuum sealed it possible...
In a backpacking tent I’m pretty much an instant oatmeal and black coffee guy. And cold pop tarts from the first glassing knob.

Hmmmm......?
First, feed a fat boy a good breakfast and he will hunt harder and longer. 😬! LOL!

Seriously, a hot breakfast is hard to beat when the temps are low. Hot oatmeal only gets you so far. Besides, oatmeal gets me (ahem) "moving" early in the morning. Not good for me early mornings! ☹!

Tent camping in a remote area has two problems.
Cooking and cleanup.

For me, hot coffee is a "must"! Gimme a hot cuppa joe and I'm good to go....'til my belly starts growling! 😠
A biscuit and sausage will get me a looooong way.
I've left camp more than once with a buttered biscuit crammed full of homemade blackberry jelly and wrapped in foil.

MRE's maybe for a remote hot meal?

I personally don't like dealing with cooking breakfast or coffee before getting going in the morning. At least backpack hunting. I'd rather catch 5 more minutes of sleep! I'll bring a bar that I'll eat on the hike in or once we get to a glassing spot. It usually holds me over enough to get thru the morning hunt and then I'll settle in the sun and eat my first lunch. Usually a sandwich. I use backpack hunts as a time to take a break from coffee.

we eat a lot of raw meat when hunting. Seal, walrus, polar bear, caribou, but mostly seal. And coffee. Good thread to put in a plug for "Bean North". Roasted in The Yukon Territory, and Inuit owned.

Empty 5 of these into a gallon bag. It will weigh 4.3 pounds. It will provide roughly 4,000 calories over the course of 10 meals. It is good hot. It is good cold. You can eat with a spoon. You can treat it as finger food. It will address hunger. It will last.

Bring toilet paper.

View attachment 183574
I'm terrified.... what is this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back