Whats everyone's hunting season workout look like?

I live at elevation (5,500’) so that’s a helpful starting point. My background is endurance races (Ironman / Ultras / Marathons) and I have two dogs that need exercise. I usually do an hour of weights and an hour of running a day. Season dependent I cross country ski. Shed hunting is my preferred summer activity.

I proactively try and simulate hunting scenarios (adverse conditions) in my running. My hunting season runs from Aug (WY) - Jan (NE); I generally don’t give myself an ‘off season’ for what it’s worth. With weight training I also go after calves and lower back. That’s the only parts that seem to weak points for me in the mountains.

EAAEC696-877C-458A-9474-63E8E5FA1B15.jpeg

I don't have to rent my Burro(s), as I adopted two of them from the BLM. They charge a whopping $125.00 each to get one that is wild and unhandled by that agency. That is all part of the fun of it, in that they are a cautious animal and you can't make a Burro do anything they don't want to do, period. So, when one bonds with you, and will "work" for you, it's a really cool, fun experience. Also, if you're a hunter, they can pack more weight for their size than say a Llama, and are easy keepers in the backcountry, as they will eat stuff my horses & mules won't, and they don't need as much water as other equines.
As far as where you can rent one, there are several folks that rent them for races. Last Summer, I think the going price for a rental Burro was around $200. That sounds like a lot, but they have to train them, keep them in shape, and all the other expenses in feeding and their care. Not to mention the fuel cost of pulling a big trailer load of them in the mountains.
If you're interested, private message me and I'll give you contact info for people that rent them. The Leadville race is just one of many on the schedule. In fact, I'm hosting my 3rd Pack Burro race here at my ranch next May 13th, 14th, and 15th.

Back