Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

What would you do ... (3)

Moosie

Grand poopa
Alright, I gave one making you think on the First one. The second one was Cut and Dry, And I'm guessing some will not want to touch this one with a ten foot pole but I was thinking about it and thought I'd post it. Remember, your Answer won't get you into trouble, It's just what you would do if this happened. Accidents happen and We should think of how we would respond :

Anyways, What would you do if you were hunting elk. We'll say it was foggy to help out the situation. You see these elk feeding and see a bull is off to itself on the side. they start walking a bit through the tree's and you get a Awsome Broad side shot. You take a rest, KABLAM !!!!! Hit the bull and it goes down. What you didn't realise is a calf was walking behind the Bull just as you squoze the trigger. When you walk up to the Bull, you see this hurt calf behind it. It will die in the Next couple days because it can't walk but It's trying to get up but can't.

You're stuck with a Legal Bull, and another elk that was 100% Accidentally hit but also 100% not legal. You knew for a fact it was a Clear lane but it must have Darted behind it when you touched off the trigger....

HUmmmmm WHAT would you do ?!?!?!

(PS, Would your Answer change if it was a Deer instead ?)

You tag your BULL, first, as the law requires it. Then you kick yourself in the a$$, as you feel bad.
frown.gif

My guess is legally, you should do nothing more with the calf, as it MAY live from the superficial wound. After taking care of your meat to a point where you will not spoil any, you get F&G as quickly as possible, and explain the situation.

I know some guys hunt with Sierra Match King bullets, as they do not generally hold together enough to exit the first animal, let alone wound a second one...
wink.gif

We should probably get ol' Jack O'Konner to weigh in on this one, as his family always seemed to be shooting unitended/unidentified animals...
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

1st off it wouldnt happen to me cause I always and 100% sure of my background and my target and the surroundings
but to answr your question
I would tag the bull and watch the calf for a while. if I had a friend ( I would blame it on him
wink.gif
) no I would have him go call G&F and report it for me. If I didnt have a freind with me I would finish loading my bull in the truck then head to somewhere I could call game and fish.

Being honest in these situations will help you with game and fish most times(its happened in az to some people I know) There boy was on a cow hunt missed the cow and seriously wounded a small bull(almost same situation as you stated above).

Now if it was a trophy calf It would be on my wall
tongue.gif

Delw

Well, for me the answer is quite simple. You say the calf is down and can't get up, I will put it down for good.No animal deserves to suffer. I would take care of my Bull and then make contact with the F&G and explain what happened.

Looks like we'll be havin some mighty fine calf loins fur supper. Camp meat , as the old timers put it.
elkgrin.gif

I had that exact "what would you do" happen to me...

I was hunting in a snow storm, visibility was limited to about 100 yards or so. I was hunting a patch of timber that very many times holds elk. I found some very fresh tracks and was making my way very slowly along. Eventually I walked right up on a bull at about 35 yards in the trees. He stood up in his bed looking to see me. I looked around him and could see no other elk. I knew there were some there some where but he was beded on a small knole, with rocks and dirt behind him. So consequently it looked all clear to me so I threw the rifle up and took the shot. He bolted and I could see blood shooting out of both sides of him about three or four feet... thats a dead elk I thought to my self. He ran around the knole and I see an elk go sliding down the hill... All I could see was feet and snow flying.

At the shot the rest of the elk got up and about stampeeded me. The rest were bedded above me and the took off down the hill towards the bull I had shot. About 10 seconds later I hear a bunch of shooting below me, and then a bunch of whooping and hollaring. I thought, well some one got one or two in that bunch and I had one down the hill from me... All was good. So I picked up and headed over to where the bull was standing to see what kind of blood I had and what not. I tracked the blood trail around the little knole and look down to where the elk had skidded off the hill. This is where I got really confussed. The elk that skided down the hill was a nice big fat COW. I thought oh shit, now what!
eek.gif

I walked back to the scene to do a little investigation. The cow had apparently been bedded behind the bull on the other side of the little knole. When he stood up he screened her head that would have only been visable between two rocks. The shot at the bull hit perfectly on him and went on through the slot in the rocks hitting the cow in the head. She was dead instantly and by the time she kicked her self loose the bull was runing around where she slid off the hill.

So now I got one dead elk for sure and the other was as good as dead. So I walked back to the blood trail and follow it around the hill to an opening. At the bottom of the opening about a 150 yards away was a man and his daughter standing over a dead bull. The blood trail I'm on ends with a skid mark headed right at these two. So I walk down to talk to them and see what their story was... The girl has a smile as big as a watermellon slice on her face. She had just "killed" her first elk. I congradulated her and her father for the fine work and I told them that I had a cow down about 250 yards up the hill... I was totaly releived. I didn't want to break the news to her that her elk had only one hole in it... Thank goodness for lucky breaks!

I had an either sex tag so everything worked out, but if the girl and her dad hadn't been there... I guess I would have gutted both tagged one of them and called the Fish cops... Explained the situation. Accidents happen and they are usually pretty forgiving if you tell them the truth!

I guess it just goes to show you that sometimes when you try to be "100%" sure of your target and beyond you can't be.

Ivan

Looks like my 100% legal bull was a freak of nature, 8 quarters, 4 backstraps, etc. In times gone by a call to F&G would have been appropriate, now you would just be shooting yourself in the foot. You would get treated just like a poacher, honest mistake or not, and the meat would go to waste, not to mention your fine and confiscation of gear.

If I was very confident that calf was going to die in that day or very soon, I'd blast it then bone out both animals. I haven't seen a check station or warden go through boned meat yet to see if there were duplicates of pieces. Plus, that little guy would only add about 100 pounds to the pot. Hell, I may even just put that in my duffle bag behind the seat.

First whack the calf, if it can`t get up its as good as dead, Then kick your own ass ![jim Carry in liar liar]

If the calf is in the shape you state - I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. No point or sense in allowing the animal to suffer. Would I report it... HELL NO. It was an accident - right? I'd bone the little dude out and be done with it... If I ran into someone, or they walked up during the butchering - then I'd let them know what happened. Unfortunately in the society we live in today, people seem to have forgotten that "accidents" do sometimes still occur. There has to be someone to blame and make "pay"... Calling the G&F division changes NOTHING.

The only way I would report the incident would be if I were hunting in an area that was prone to me getting caught by someone...

Am I cynical? You bet your ass!

I think I would be with HS on this one, it may be a little obvious if they check your pockets though and find a second set of ivories!!!
wink.gif

i dont know how to post a quote. but delw said " if i had a friend"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
im your friend but you aint blaming chit on me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back