Yeti GOBOX Collection

What were your worst caliber/rifle choices

1980’s era Remington 700 Mtn Rifle in 280 Rem. Only thing consistent about it is the fact it wont shoot any ammunition accurately. Still have it because the action is so smooth. May rebarrel it in a different caliber.
I had one of those. It was a tack driver. An old friend so coveted it, I sold it to him.

Good day,
My worst was a model 99 Mauser in 300 Weatherby. Accurate gun but the bite was more than acceptable. Used it for one season and mainly for an elk hunt and traded it off after the trip. Made me flinch for a bit. Here is a pic from my two brothers who shot it once and said no thanks! Lol!
So I take it that they were never the same 😁

Remington 7400 in 270. No caliber issues and the rifle was plenty accurate enough for hunting purposes but two different gun smiths couldn’t get it to be more than an expensive single shot. Still in the back of the safe because I feel bad sending it to someone else
Used one of these in 30-06 for a few years for deer and elk, my last deer with it, it wouldn’t feed the second round (I hand fed it and still got the shot off), but I haven’t touched it since. Been about 3 years

My worse was a knock off M1 carbine from Big 5 many years ago. The manufacture was out of Texas, Israeli something or other. It never shot straight. No matter what I did. Finally, the bolt fell apart right after shooting one time. Dangerous rifle and unreliable. I still have it. Waiting for kalifornicate to have another buy back program where I can turn in the rifle, working or not, for $200. I'll sell it to the state where they will put it where it belongs. In the trash. Worst rifle I ever had.

Not a rifle, but I purchased new, one of the newer Remington 870's. Around 2008 or so. That thing was such a piece of junk in every way possible.

First gen Weatherby Vangard in 243 Win.
Bought for my daughter for first deer rifle.
Would put first 3 shots in 1 MOA at 100 yards.
Let cool.
Next 3 would be 5 MOA at 100 yards.
Let cool again, longer.
Next 3, 12 MOA.
She traded it on a new Bowtech.
Best decision ever!

Years ago I had the bright idea that I ought to have a 10 gauge and picked up a H&R single shot. The recoil on that thing with 3 1/2" turkey loads was stupendous. Sent that one down the road fairly quickly.

My worst was a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Damn thing wouldn’t shoot moa. Sent it to kimber they told me a match bullet is what I should be shooting. Wasn’t real sure how they figured shooting one bullet that was a match bullet it could meet the sub moa garuntee. I did like the weight and action.

The only one I can think of that was total junk was a Ruger M77/44. It was a total brush fire. Couldn't hit a pie plate at 100yds with plenty of loads and several different scopes.

Both the Weatherby Vanguards I have bought in the last 2 years have been garbage as far as accuracy goes. One in a 300wm and one in a 25-06. Both handled great and everything but are the pickiest things I have ever seen with ammo.

Both the Weatherby Vanguards I have bought in the last 2 years have been garbage as far as accuracy goes. One in a 300wm and one in a 25-06. Both handled great and everything but are the pickiest things I have ever seen with ammo.
Crazy how that goes. My Vanguard 25-06 shoots lights out

A freind of mine bought a vanguard in .270 and we tried for weeks using both factory ammo or reloads but could never get better than 1 3/4 inches off the bench at 100 yards.

Sounds like luck of the draw with the Vanguards. My .257 Wby. mag. using Weatherby Select 115 BST's ammo. is crazy accurate!

i have 3 vanguards that all shoot fantastic. 300 win mag, 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x300 weatherby.

I have actually had decent rifles - nothing terrible though a couple just weren't great choices.
I have had about 7 hunting rifles and none of them were bad. I had a couple that just didn't perform as I wanted - I'm the only person I know who had a Ruger American fail him on a hunt - but it was -10 and I'm pretty sure it was just because I didn't get enough oil out of the action.
I also had a Browning .300WM BAR that just couldn't get to group worth a darn and decided to part with.

But my two biggest failures were my Mossberg 943 Magnum waterfowl shotgun and a new Remington Versa Max. Both jammed CONSTANTLY. I lost so SO many birds because of failures: Fail to feed, fail to eject, jamming, everything. Got upset after the second 'upgrade' and went back to my 870 pump until i saved up for my Browning Maxus that I LOVE.

Where should I begin...
Remington 597 22lr that jammed every other shot
Remington 710 in 30-06 picked it up cheap and still got screwed on that one (bolt jammed shut on 5th shot) Mossberg 835 (never buy a 3.5" chambered pump shotgun where the majority of it is made from plastic)
Remington 870 20 gauge slug gun with cantilever barrel (cantilever had to be sitting on the barrel with a 10 degree difference)
TC Omega 50 cal (no matter what I did, that gun just rusted everywhere)
Remington Genesis 50 cal (getting the breach plug out was next to impossible after a few at the range)
Browning BLR in 7mm-08 (heaviest trigger I've ever had on a center fire rifle and accuracy was not great)

I could probably go on, but these get the gold medal for crappy firearms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back