Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

What to look for when shopping for a taxidermist

OntarioHunter

So the subject of good and bad taxidermy floated around indirectly on a couple of threads recently. I learned a lot from the discussions, particularly that many hunters (including this one) really don't have a clue when it comes to differentiating between great vs acceptable vs shitty taxidermy. So I'm throwing this out there for some experienced voices (and we have a few) to chime in with advice.

First on the list: go look at what's in the taxidermist's showroom. It's hard to get a good perspective from website or Facebook photos. And it's not too hard to give viewers of digital images an inaccurate perspective on purpose. Once you're in the showroom don't be afraid to get up close and personal with the mounts. And if possible tour several showrooms. You'll see some differences once you know what to look for. Taxidermists are artists and artsy folks can often be sensitive to criticism so if you see something that seems questionable, frame your thinking as a question. "What's your thoughts on preorbital glands? Fill them with bondo or leave them gapped?" "What colour do you prefer for scale tipping trout?" (A good question for the shortcut taxi who doesn't scale tip). Let the taxidermist know you see something of concern without being critical. That way he knows you're on your toes and not some babe in the woods he can shove off a quick sloppy job for full price.

So what to look for? I'll throw that one out to the experts.

Ask the taxidermist if he/she has a problem with keeping you in the loop as the project progresses. It only takes a second to snap a photo with phone and text/email it to the client. That way any misunderstanding re communicating instructions are apparent before it's too late. Most clients are interested in the process and letting them observe as the project unfolds is a nice touch that most will appreciate. And appreciative clients tend to come back for more.

Not all taxidermists are good at everything. I have my deer, elk, and antelope done by one guy. Life size sheep by another and bears by someone else.

I also don't worry about distance when it comes to quality. I've had mounts done as far away as Michigan. Yes, it's expensive shipping a life size animal across the country but I'm going to look at a mount for the rest of my life. I don't want to be disappointed when I look at it. And yes, often times you get what you pay for.

Chad Steward in Helena is really good at all taxidermy. He has done a fish, bear rug and a couple deer for us in the last 3 years or so.
I am a fan of Chad also - had him do a deer for me (based on your recommendation a while ago). I talked a few times about having him do a couple trout, but never pulled the trigger. The brown he had in the freezer last time I was there was a whopper

Befriend a taxidermist and ask them who is the best taxidermist for whatever species you’re inquiring about in whatever area you’re willing to drive to or ship to.

Please don't go looking for the cheapest place.... you get what you pay for. The better places are more expensive for a reason.
Not necessarily. Around here we have four taxidermists: one guy who's been at it for quite a while and until relatively recently with no competition; another gal who took over her dad's hobby/business when he died and is self taught - her stuff is beyond horrible; a new young guy who does birds only and is very good; and my daughter who's been at it two years. The first guy does pretty good work on deer shoulder mounts and bears and has built a reputation for it. He charges through the roof ... because he can. However, his fish are very poor. Paint jobs are clearly rushed. Really bad. But he has a "reputation" and still gets clients for that work. The other gal puts up a huge display at the local gun and outdoors shows of some of the worst work I've ever seen (at the last trappers show her showpiece whitetail pedestal front and center looked like it was breathing fire). But listening to people talk at the shows, you'd think she was better than Jonas Brothers. This is what I'm after on this thread. Do you know what to look for? Taking peoples' word for it is dicey. It helps: some taxidermists do okay work but customer relations are horrible and word of mouth is the only way you'll find that out. Seeing their work and knowing what you're seeing is most important I think.

Some other options:
- Buy a taxidermy reference book (from McKenzie, etc.) and take it with you when you go to look at their work. If they suck this will make them very uncomfortable. If they're good they will be impressed that you care about what your taxidermy looks like.
- Go to a taxidermy show in your area and see who's winning awards.
- Subscribe to a taxidermy magazine (Taxidermy Today, etc.) and see who they're talking about. Within a few months they'll probably mention someone reasonably close to you.
- If the taxidermist asks you for photos that you have of your animal for reference, this is a good sign. If he's actually skilled enough to modify the form to match the photos you give him then he's very good. For example, I killed a mule deer with a big roman nose. There are no forms like this. My taxidermist modified the form to match the photos I provided to him.
- Always ask for their normal turnaround time....and probably add 50% for what will actually happen.

If you do select someone that's winning awards, ask them to show you the difference between their show taxidermy and their production taxidermy. There was a great show taxidermist in my area that had pretty bad production work.

All in all, and the best taxidermists will tell you this too, if you can't tell the difference then you shouldn't pay for the difference. Years ago, poor taxidermy would fall apart hanging on the wall even in climate controlled conditions. With today's materials, almost all taxidermists can produce mounts that will "age well" if kept indoors. Only the absolute worst taxidermists make mounts that fall apart. Now the difference between good and bad taxidermists is if they can make the mount look like a live animal.

We're fortunate enough to have a good taxidermist here in our town that way are good friends with as well. And as far as antelope go there is a difference between NM antelope faces and Wyoming antelope faces. He gets forms that are made for NM antelope and I think there's only one company that makes them, not sure on that tho. When you look at the difference in the antelope it is amazing. I agree with all that Windmag said he's got it spot on id say

Last edited:
Ask the taxidermist if he/she has a problem with keeping you in the loop as the project progresses. It only takes a second to snap a photo with phone and text/email it to the client. That way any misunderstanding re communicating instructions are apparent before it's too late. Most clients are interested in the process and letting them observe as the project unfolds is a nice touch that most will appreciate. And appreciative clients tend to come back for more.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back