What to expect from Leupold?

So, just had first Leupold customer service experience. I had a brand new VX6HD with Illum. TMOA reticle. The problem out of the box was that the reticle would sometimes turn on and sometimes not. Swapping batteries (or just taking out and reinserted the current one) would fix for a little while, but then it would go back to not working. Just got it back today with two documents explaining what was done. They replaced the illum controller board and then did a full checkout of tracking, travel, etc.

The bad: A $1,500+ scope should not come out of the box with a defect.

The good: They said they would fix and return/replace in 7 weeks and they got it back to me in 5 weeks + shipping time with a full description of their work. Out of the box it now works just like my other ones - assuming the fix holds up I consider this solved.

Between my Dad and I, we've purchased 3 VX3s in the past 5 or so years... All three failed to hold zero, track correctly, and/or RTZ within the first year...leupold "fixed" them all. We sold one as soon as we got it back. the second failed to hold zero again, so we sold that one. We kept the third for a year then decided to sell it. The old man still has an old vx3 4.5-14x50 from the early 2000s that hasn't given us any problems. But we put that on a rifle we don't shoot that often.

That sums up what I expect from leupold.

...I'm letting my gunsmith have a crack at this time. He said he's going to clean the bore with bore tech eliminator to remove the fouling and then measure the rings/bases and check everything for alignment and then shoot the gun and see how it does. I'll report back.

What did your gunsmith find? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back