Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What to do?

williaada

My hunting group is not getting their act together to go hunting this year so I am going out on my own. I have two options:
DIY in a unit where I have hunted, but had a rough go, and be by myself in the back country. Also me camping in the back county not much though.

Option two an outfitter has a spot open and I could go with a guide ride parking area and hike in to spotting area.

My goal is to learn more about how to hunt elk in general and slowly learn from maps and being in the field what information helps to locate elk. Thanks

All comes down to personal preference. I have spent many a seasons solo when my x-hunting partner would bail within the first two days of the season. Definitely is not ideal but I learned a lot. If finances aren’t an issue guided could be good. Taking care of an elk solo sucks!

Depends on your goals and what you can spend.

I think if your goal is to kill a bull then obviously guided.

If that’s not the most important factor then go solo.

First couple times you hunt solo is a bit uncomfortable, but then you almost prefer it.

I have nothing against guided hunts and would go on one if someone else paid for it. That doesn't seem like it will ever happen so I DIY and sometimes alone. I prefer to hunt alone but when an elk is on the ground it is great to have help packing! The "school of hard knocks", though frustrating is in my opinion the best teacher. Like others have said if you want better odds at killing go guided. If you really want to test yourself, learn more, and if you are successful feel the ultimate sense of accomplishment...DIY

Back