PEAX Equipment

what tablet to get for onx in the field

mathew dunn

Hi there, new to the site but have read lots of the forums in the past. huge randy and fresh tracks fan!
I've been using onx maps for about 3 years now and love it. it has changed how I hunt. i have e-scouted from my computer and downloaded offline maps to my phone. my question is what tablet is the best and will work out in the field? I want to view a bigger screen when I am in camp. last year I had a chrome book until I realized I couldn't download offline maps to that or I couldn't figure it out lol. any help would be appreciated. good luck to everyone this hunting season.

I don't have a tablet but I know they are getting better. The fishery crews that I talk to use cheaper Samsung tablets and expect to replace in 2 or 3 years from dirt, dust, and water abuse. Battery life is a consideration also so that means external battery packs too.

Is a bigger phone not an option? A tablet seems redundant.

I use an old iPad Air 2 (at&t cellular version but no active account) that works great in the truck when driving around and is plugged into the lighter (or at camp with generator close by), but for the field it is too big, bulk, heavy, not great battery life (older devices lose a lot of battery capacity over time) and slow to charge on the little power brick I carry.

Be aware that most "wifi only" tablets do not support GPS. So for the most part to use ONX or other mapping service while seeing your location you need to make sure you are buying the "cellular enabled" ones. You don't have to get a monthly cellular plan, but the GPS functionality is located on the cellular chip set in the vast majority of cases.

You will also need cellular service at camp to transfer any new way-points, etc between your phone and the tablet -- they don't direct connect via bluetooth or wifi for this purpose. But the tablet doesn't need its own cellular plan as long as it can then use your iphone as a hot spot for syncing.

awesome thank you thats exactly what I was looking for. really appreciate it. good luck hunting this year.

They were just starting to test drive some Getac UX10’s at work when I retired... looked to be rugged as hell but spendy. Gave them to my linecrew (who could break an anvil by noon just playing with it) but not sure on how they turned out.

Galaxy Tab S4 10.5. It's huge and heavy. But it is also awesome in many ways.

- Built in cellular connection. If you have cell service, you have internet.
- Huge beautifully bright 10.5" screen
- Battery that literally lasts all day
- I added a 256 gig microSD card for $25

We used it on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt last year. I had a private land ticket and was in a mixed private/public area with permission for one privately owned area that was interspersed with other private land as well. Very nice hunting aid; kept us legal.

Last edited:
We are in the process of changing from laptops to tablets at work. I’m a huge proponent of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back