PEAX Equipment

What States Have You Hunted

Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana, Colorado.
Whitetail
Eastern Turkey
Merriams
Hog
Javalina
Mule Deer
Antelope
Elk
Prairie dogs
Pheasant
Dusky grouse
Sharptail
Hungarian Partridge
Chukar
Quail
Prairie Chicken
All manner of ducks and geese
Doves
Furbearers and small game

Last edited:
My issue with hunting is I generally will only do what I can do on a budget. I will generally not pay nonresident rates to hunt what I can get where I am at. The only exception is California but they had special rates for military at the time I was in the Marine Corps. I have fished in more states than I have hunted though.

Avid fisherman since I could hold a pole. Have fished ME, MO, WI, MI, MN, IA, IL, OR, FL, SK, ON, MB, WY

Hunting became new favorite hobby about five years ago. Short list: IA, IL, MN, CO

In the crosshairs: WY, NE

Favorite state for outdoor recreation: WY

Montana, Alabama and Arizona.
NWT, Canada

North Dakota if coyotes and gophers and prairie dogs or sight casting pike count.

Alaska soon.

Last edited:
IL
WI
MN
SD
ND
MT
CO
NE
NC
NV
CA
AZ
NM

Favorite is whatever one I'm hunting at the time.

This to me really illustrates the hunter recruitment conundrum. I’d bet most folks that have historically bought hunting licenses only hunt(ed) their own state. Yet on here, singular dudes are hunting a bagillion states. Combine that with loss of access and no wonder the woods appear more crowded than ever.

As a new hunter, my list isn't as distinguished:
Iowa
Wyoming
Colorado

Wyoming has been my favorite mainly because hunting with my father-in-law is always a good time. My success rate has been better there too.

For me, hunting is (among other things) a vehicle used to see new things, places, experiences, sub-cultures, etc.

I am also a collector at heart. I would love to hunt each species of North American big game, but due to a variety of factors that simply will not happen for me.

I have a loose, but I feel very attainable goal, of hunting each of the 50 states at least once in my life. It might only be for squirrels, feral hogs, turkeys, etc., but just imagine the memories and experiences of such broad adventures.

My father was the opposite. He hunted a variety of small game, primarily raccoon, in just a couple of counties here in Indiana. I don't feel that he or anyone similar is any less of a hunter, in fact I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of days afield and general woodsmanship.

"This to me really illustrates the hunter recruitment conundrum. I’d bet most folks that have historically bought hunting licenses only hunt(ed) their own state. Yet on here, singular dudes are hunting a bagillion states. Combine that with loss of access and no wonder the woods appear more crowded than ever".

Speaks volumes.

NY (Home State)
AZ (Current State)
ID

Favorite state so far is NY for all around outdoors. I grew up on Lake Ontario and the fishin and duck hunting were awesome. Turkey and deer huntin were pretty good too. AZ has some awesome opportunities as well for huntin, less so for fishin, but every once in awhile I'll catch myself daydreamin of the marshes and bays of Lake O

only one state Alaska, but three Territories in Canada,----- Yukon, Northwest, Nunavut

Black bear, Brown Bear, White Bear, Fox, Wolf, wolverine, Lynx, Caribou, Elk, Moose, Goat, Sheep, Deer, walrus, Bison, muskox,

plus bird hunting and fishing Also trap marten, mink, otter type stuff

would enjoy hunting Africa, but that has not been affordable yet

Reactions: LCH
I have hunted the following states:

CA
UT
CO
WY
MT
TX
OK
KS
NE
SD
MN
WI
IL
MO
AR
MI
IN
KY
TN
FL
OH
NY
PA
WV
SC

Man, I didn't realize hum many different states I have hunted, its easy to take for granted all of the opportunities we have.

Favorite would be IN & WY

This to me really illustrates the hunter recruitment conundrum. I’d bet most folks that have historically bought hunting licenses only hunt(ed) their own state. Yet on here, singular dudes are hunting a bagillion states. Combine that with loss of access and no wonder the woods appear more crowded than ever.

There is a principle in micro economics... which I can't remember right now. That states something to the effect of; the top 20% of users of a product are responsible for 70% of total sales. So your bottom users is buy a car/bike/wine/guns/comic books/etc once in a while, but your power users are buying a ridiculous amount. Think Jerry Seinfeld and cars, your average american spends probably 100-200k on cars in their lifetime... he probably has spent north of 200 million.

People who join hunting forums are probably in the top 1% of hunting license users. So essentially you are seeing an incredibly distorted view of normal hunting license buying patterns.

Hell I bet 99% of the residents hunters in the state of Montana don't know that nonresidents have to draw a tag.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back