What Should Be My Arrow Length?

RugerHawg413

I am still a novice to bowhunting. I bought a Bear Species RTH a little over a month ago and I have figured out my draw length, 68" divided by 2.5 is 27". So, my question is what should be my arrow length? I have read that you want your arrow length .05" to 1" longer than your draw length, is that true? If not what is the rule? Thank you for all of your info and wisdom!!

I'd advise using a bare shaft & do a check at full draw.
Have someone else there to make a mark on the arrow, then measure to the mark.
I'm shown at a 28" draw length, but when i changed bows, with the different riser design, and rest had i cut to 28", the broadhead would cut me. Ended up with 30" arrow length.

When ever you change the shaft length, you change the spine. If the spine is not right, things do not go as planned. You can adjust spine by adding weight up front or changing stiffness. I like to shoot both broadheads and field points to the same point. It will take some tuning but there is a ton of info out there on how to do it. I shoot fixed blades so it is a little more difficult but doable. I have a 26.5" draw and us short armed guys got screwed in the speed dept. but it is what it is. It is better to have a fat slow arrow arrive on target quietly than see an animal move due to the noise. Missing at high speed is still missing.

I like the broadhead out in front of my hand, that said, my bow is set at 29” and my arrows are cut to 27 3/8”.
Like std7mag said, draw back an uncut arrow. Have someone else make at the rest contact point and front of the riser. Find a happy medium between the two.

I like to leave them a little long. I've broken or chipped the front of many arrows and have had a lot of success cutting them down and still using them for practice or giving them to friends with shorter draws. I know folks that disagree with this approach, but I always stress test them to make sure there are no cracks or nicks farther up the shafts.

I also like the broadhead in front of my hand. A little arrow length won't hurt a thing and if you are trying to up your arrow weight it can be a good thing.

im pulling 31.5 and right now using an arrow that is 31.5 (N2C). I could probably cut another .5-1" because of the rest i am using, but im using the QAD broadheads which sit over the carbon so i like the small amount of clearance. As far as i can tell, the type of rest you use and where it sits in the riser will impact as much or more than just draw length.

For a hunting setup with broadheads I would cut them 1" in front of the rest at a minimum. At the front or slightly past the riser is a safer bet. For a target/3d setup 1/2" in front of the rest would be fine.

At your full draw I would want the back of the broadhead in front of my fingers. Also if the rear of the broadhead is close to your finger remember how thick your gloves will be in the coldest weather. Maybe a smidge longer then.

Don’t forget to take your broadhead into consideration, if you’re planning on using a mechanical that has the blades towards the back like a Rage you’re going to need a little more arrow sticking out front

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back