PEAX Equipment

What rite to get.

In 8# rifles, online recoil data for the 6.5 PRC/143 gr is about 18 ft/#s. Same rifle weight (8#) in 270 win/140 gr, recoil is about 17 ft/#s. Don't be surprised if the 6.5 PRC recoils more than your 270.

Thanks for checking that out.

I don't know how much difference this would make but I am using 130 gr Fusion. It is just what my rifle liked so I did not look any further.

We are starting to get a little over my head.

I had a couple people tell me the 6.5 PRC would have less recoil but good ballistics.

Maybe it doesn't?

Thanks for checking that out.

I don't know how much difference this would make but I am using 130 gr Fusion. It is just what my rifle liked so I did not look any further.

We are starting to get a little over my head.

I had a couple people tell me the 6.5 PRC would have less recoil but good ballistics.

Maybe it doesn't?

The 6.5 does have better ballistics but that will come into play at longer distances and is primarily due to bullet bc. If you don’t have someone hand loading ammo for you, you are limited to just the 2 hornady options currently. I believe nosler is also coming out with ammo for the 6.5 PRC this year. I think the 6.5 creedmoor would serve you well.

I'm fortunate enough to know some landowners in Montana and Wyoming that I have gained permission to hunt elk on.

I am a little more adventurous than the average quadriplegic and just put my head down and try my best to get it done.

The .270 really isn't bad to shoot at all and I could get by with it with no problem.

This is probably more of a want instead of a need.

My hat is off to you!

If you want a new rifle I fully understand the addiction. Nothing wrong with the ol 270win but I agree with above. The 6.5PRC will recoil about the same if not more.
Take a look at the 6.5creedmoor or a 260rem if you want less recoil than your 270.

Dakota, I have never fired the 6.5 PRC, I have more trigger time w my 270. Multiple online sources I checked show the recoil equal or slightly higher w the 6.5, all else being equal. Heavier rifles recoil less than the same cartridge in a lighter rifle, so adding rifle weight will reduce felt recoil. My reading is the 6.5 has a little better ballistics, which only get significant past 600 yards. A 6.5 of the same weight is a longer, narrower bullet than a 270. Meaning it is slightly less likely to be affected by wind, and will drop a little less, @ long ranges.

I admire you for pursuing hunting and target shooting. I hope you will share your adventures here.

I appreciate everyone's advice and now I have some thinking to do. It doesn't look like the 6.5 PRC is really going to give me much advantage.

500 yards and under, BC values don't tent to matter to much on magnum cartridges. If you shoot the same bullet weight at the same velocity in say a 30 cal vs a 6.5, the 6.5 will have less recoil. Recoil on the 6.5 prc vs the 270 win mag won't be noticeable. Given same make rifle and same weight. Stock design can have more to do with felt recoil.

Another thing you might want to consider is whats the sectional density of the bullet. This helps with penetration.

Sounds like the rifle you have is and will get the job done just fine, but I know the itch for a new rifle.

Good luck in your decision, Bergera, savage, and fierce would be my suggestions.

Does the weight of the rifle matter to you? If not why not look at building a heavier rifle in a caliber that will offer you more of an advantage over your .270? I have a buddy with a 13 pound .300 RUM (no brake) and honestly it's not bad to shoot at all, you could look at something like the Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm mag or 300 win mag (9 pounds per Remingtons website), add some weight to the stock and end up with a rifle that gives you better long range performance than what you have and has similar or less recoil than your current setup

If you like your .270 and just want less recoil I suggest adding weight to the stock, or adding a brake or going with a suppressor. I know you said you are sold on the PRC, but that is going the opposite direction on recoil. If you really want a new cartridge to reduce recoil while still being viable for 500 yards, both 7mm08 and 6.5 creedmoor accomplish that.

Yes after studying the PRC more it does not look like it is going to give me any advantage. More than likely I just wanted one deep down and was looking for an excuse to get one.

Yes after studying the PRC more it does not look like it is going to give me any advantage. More than likely I just wanted one deep down and was looking for an excuse to get one.
Well if you want an excuse to get a new rifle, you came to the right place 🤣

i'd roll with a 7mm-08 rem and 120 bt's for all included game. those 7mm 120 bt's will punch thru even elk i'm told due to the thick jacket material and the chambering would cut down on the recoil.
Big Ed

Let's say you place a bullet into an animal at 500yds with your 6.5 PRC, the animal is down! Now place the same bullet in the same spot at the same distance with the 260 Rem. Do you think the results will differ? I don't! I strongly believe in using the right bullet for the job. That is going to depend more on where you place the bullet your using and your ability to place it. Replace the 260 Rem with a 300 mag and a 200gr bullet do the same thing and again the result's will still be a dead animal. So what would you rather shoot?

Back