Yeti GOBOX Collection

What rifle?

Heirloom usually inplies something of more than sentimental value. With most rifles you get what you pay for. With some, you pay for more than you get. Certain names like Mauser, Sako, CZ, are moderate priced and of excellent quality. THey look good....(remember my mantra, "Like if too short to shoot an ugly gun!). Newer names like Kimber and Cooper, certainly make quaillty arms. Were it me, I would look to something extraordinary yet serviceable. Mauser would be my first choice and Sako my second. A good caliber like 30-06, 9.3X62 or .270..something suitable for hunting anything in North America save perhaps the big bears.

This. After inheriting a couple dozen firearms running the gamut from cheap single shots to british double rifles, the only thing that matters is the memory associated with the gun.

Truth...whatever the choice make sure your FIL attaches many memories to said rifle. Hunting memories, family memories so like the rifle they too can be passed down.

You could also go the used route with something that has collector value as well. A very nice pre-64 winchester Model 70, a 1st generation Remington Ti, even a New Haven Super Grade.

This is the route I decided to take a couple of years ago. I picked up a Browning safari grade Mauser chambered in 30/06. Classic action, classic round, and a tack driver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 377
100 yd group with 150 gr hornady interbonds. Handloads with ramshot big game. 2950 fps out of a 22" barrel. Not bad for a factory rifle built in the 60s. It hasn't even been glass bedded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 371
Nothing more classic than a lever action Winchester, 86, 71, 92, 94, in a classic caliber that is powerful enough to actually use (.45-70, .348, .30-30, .32 Spl.).

My son shoots a 6.5x55 that I gave him when he turned 12, but what he really likes is my Ruger #1, .38-55, which I will gladly hand down to him some day when I'm done with it.

Being lefthanded, my rifles are mostly Remington 700's. But growing up, my dad and my grandpaw used pre 64 Winchester mod. 70's in 30-06 and .270win. with custom stocks. They busted a lot of bucks with those rifles, and lots of good stories and memories. Those rifles are as classic as they get. I know how much those rifles meant to the family, and that is what is important to me. If you buy and use a quality firearm ( no plastic parts ) that will be usable a thousand years from now, you cant go wrong. JK

ive got a model 70 that was originally my great grandpas, then passed down to my grandpa, my dad, and now me. its been dragged through the hills for decades and it shows, but its my favorite gun. someday i hope to pass it on to my son

hard to beat a pre 64 model 70 or a remington 700. another option is a weatherby mark vII. as far as caliber....... .300 win mag, 7mm, .270, or .30-06

you can not go wrong with a cooper they look nice and shoot even better and hold there value . i have a few of them and they all look nice and well . they also come in many grades that would fit in your budget range .

Look at a Browning X bolt White Gold, I don't think they make them now but you can find them new. Also there is a RMEF X bolt White Gold I think in a 325. Have fun looking. You can stay in your budget even with a nice scope.

In my opinion, who ever inherits the rifle will not care what type it is but who they inherited it from and the memories that are associated with it.

After spending some time with the family last week, and ogling over all the "hand-me-down" rifles, I came to one conclusion. The rifles I knew were hunted hard were the ones I wanted, just so happens to be that they were Winchesters. There was a slew of other rifles of various makes and models that were also hunted pretty hard, most of them decent makes, but just didn't have the allure of an old bolt Winchester. The two I want the most are:

A pre-64 M70 featherwieght in 308. This one was my grampas, and passed to my dad at a young age. This is the most coveted rifle of the bunch. That thing has seen more dead elk and horse sweat than I will in my life time.

The second is a M52 Winchester circa 1934ish in 270WCF. This one was my great grampas, it was used heavily via horse back and also took a gob of animals to include about half a dozen sheep in MT back when sheep tags were OTC. When I draw a MT sheep tag, this will be the rifle that does the deed. 2x vintage scope an all.

While I like some of the new rifle makes, especially Kimber and Cooper, I wouldn't discount the old ones either. The value/price of Pre-64 Winchesters has declined in the last few years, and some really nice rifles can be had for about half of what they were going for 10 years ago. Pick one up and run the action, and you'll realize how well made they are. Nothing like the "clunk" of a bolt when it resonates through a nice piece of wood, on a well made rifle. They usually shoot darn well too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back