PEAX Equipment

What month is best to look for sheds?

JB Florida

I am going to put in for a couple of draws and want to go early to scout the areas.
Is late April or early May about right?
I know it depends on elevation and the year but, is this about right?

My best whitetail bucks have been the result of finding the sheds first, SO......
Thanks
JB

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-15-2002 19:46: Message edited by: JB Florida ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JB Florida:
I am going to put in for a couple of draws and want to go early to scout the areas.
Is late April or early May about right?
I know it depends on elevation and the year but, is this about right?

My best whitetail bucks have been the result of finding the sheds first, SO......
Thanks
JB

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-15-2002 19:46: Message edited by: JB Florida ]</font>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Depend on where your going to look! Here in wisconsin they start to drop in the northern part of the state around New years eve. southern Wi the deer sometimes hold them until March. every state is different. I get my biggest sheds in the suburbs where you cant hunt. But you need to be looking a lot or they will get scarfed up by someone else. My best single shed scored 78pts on a typicle 5 pt. A booner for sure on hoof

Thanks Schmalts!

We pick up deer sheds down here in the first 2 weeks of April (turkey season)

I really meant elk sheds though!
I have only hunted elk once but I found 18 elk and muledeer antlers in 6 days.
They were bleached though after laying for 6 months. I want to go where I'll put in to draw and look for them early next year!

Thanks and

I'd say that for elk, the end of April is pretty good. The latest I've seen a branch antlered bull will bone still attached was April 15. I've seen spikes as late as May 9.

Problem is, many muleys and elk shed their antlers on winter range. They'll be nowhere near there during hunting season. I guess if you know the migration patterns in the area it might help you. Good luck...

Oak

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back