What makes a creedmoor a creedmoor

TwistedSage

Just out of curiosity what make a creed a creed. From my simple understanding you have your standard cartridges then you have your magnums which shoot the same caliber bullets with larger powder loads, short mags same bullet with larger powder load in a short action cartridge. Xxcal Weatherby, ammo with standard bullets with proprietary cartridges for higher powder charges to shoot out of Weatherby rifles(may be wrong, are Weatherby actions and cartridges proprietary to Weatherby or can other Mfrs produce Weatherby firearms and ammo?)

What makes a creed a creed? From what i see its not proprietary to a mfr as numerous companies make creed rifles and ammo. Is it a length of case? Extra % of powder capacity? 6mm creedmores, 6.5 creedmores and 270 creedmore?

My understanding is they are longer throated, and have faster twist barrels, and are designed to shoot long, high BC bullets. The cases are shortened so loaded cartridges will still fit in std "short" action magazines.

They offer little to no value my style of hunting and shooting. They don't make animals any more dead, and my shooting ability is 100% tied to me and the rifle, not the cartridge. Its amazing how worked up people get over a little bullet drop.

As I understand it, the Creedmoor is based on the 30 TC (which is based on the 308 WIN). It's not proprietary to any manufacture, so it's available from many ammo and rifle manufactures. 6.5 was the main variant backed by Hornady and has become popular, now you can also get the 6 and 25 Creedmoor. Also, one of the most misspelled cartridge families. 😉

the 6.5 was developed in partnership by Hornady Senior Ballistics Scientist Dave Emary and Dennis DeMille, VP of product development for Creedmoor Sports, hence the name.

the 6.5 was developed in partnership by Hornady Senior Ballistics Scientist Dave Emary and Dennis DeMille, VP of product development for Creedmoor Sports, hence the name.
Interesting pick, Demille, but it looks like it worked out for Creedmoor.

1612993818987.png

“Creedmore”

giphy.gif

I thought it was named after Creedmoor Rifle Range in New York where a lot of the PRS stuff takes place. I realize this doesn't answer of what makes it a "Creedmoor" but I was told that's where Hornady came up with the name.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back