What is your most consistent Rifle ?

Mustangs Rule

What is your most consistent rifle ?

I saw the post about; What is your most “accurate rifle”. Mine is a 6.5x55 Swede. One big hole at 100 yards,,,4 x scope no less. Big deal,,,, how many dead flies is that worth? But how consistent is it, wooden stock and all? Before going further let me define consistent.

Take it out of the safe after being there for 8 or 9 months. It shoots exactly the same. Take it apart and put it together, it shoots exactly the same. Hot, cold, the same. Dirty or clean, the same. First shot or fifth, or fifteenth, all the same. All copper bullets, no fouling, shoots the same,

Take a scope off, put on another, shoot it, then put the first scope back on,,,,all the same,,,exactly the same, and all way under and inch,,,not one hole, but all under an inch.

Different bullet weights,,okay,,maybe not the same,,, but so close it is still performance ready for the field even with long shots.

Sit outside in a wet sloppy rain/snow all day, no problem,,,,,,go into the hot dry country, no problem. No need to even sight it in again.

I have had only one rifle like that in my life,,,,and I ain’t young and it ain’t my Swede.

It is my Sako 75 Finnlight in .308 with it’s match grade fluted barrel and vintage optiloc rings,,,two pair, that fit right into the integral dovetails in the receiver. Every part is stainless, even the tiny ones, the synthetic stock fits like a tight glove. I have to tap it apart

I’ve had a bunch, even a full custom built to my desires, none have served me like my Browning A-bolt .280 Remington.

It’s not a tack-driver by today’s standards, but very accurate, has never misfired, and holds point of aim dependably.

I keep trying to upgrade, trying new calibers, weights, styles.......none can give me the confidence that it does. Why do I try? My son now uses that rifle, so my quest continues. I’m happy a rifle like this resides in my safe, I’ve had many that feel like strangers in there.

A cheap TC Venture compact that my kids use. It's chambered in .308 and just seems to shoot everything well. My kids shoot 130 grain Barnes TTSX's, but I played around with some leftover 165 ballistic tips I had once, and got it shooting legit 1/2" groups with Varget.

Probably my 1997 Model 70 classic stainless in .270. It was my first purchase after college. It has worn a Burris 3x9x40 for its entire life in Leupy mounts. I have shot that rifle more than any other rifle in the stable. It has been from Ohio to Michigan to Colorado to New Mexico to Missouri to Florida, ridden on 4 wheelers, trucks, side by sides, packs, etc.. and the rifle just plain shoots to the same spot every time.

But I will say that as with anything associated with aim whether sports or shooting related, confidence is 99% of the equation.

I am 82 and have hunted around the world for 72 years. I do not keep a rifle if it does not perform well consistently for the game I use it on. The rifle action must perform well consistently In all kinds of conditions. The accuracy must be an inch or less with both handloads and factory ammo. it must kill its intended game with authority. Varmits, it is a 22-250 by Remington Custom Shop, North American,Asian, and African plains game, a 300 WinnMag by Seely Masker. Cape buffalo a 416 Rigby by Griffin & Howe. Elephant a 450 Ackley by Mt Riflery. Also use a 375 and a 338 Win that meet this criteria. i do not feel comfortable with attempting to make one cartridge suit all occasions. Kindest Regards

What fits the description for me is my 308 Kimber Classic. 22-inch barrel, 1:10 twist. I cycle between 168-gr SMKG for practice, 165 Gr Fed TBT and 180 Gr Fed Partitions for deer/elk. It will shoot any of those three at (or below) 0.75-0.8 MOA every day, every time.

Same 30-06 WWII Springfield I started out with back in 1964. It has shot deer, elk, moose, antelope, and African plains game. Not a fantastic tack driver but it gets the job done. I'm an up close stalker not a long shot sniper so it's worked well for me. A hard working gun for a guy who hunted hard.20201129_110147.jpg16 November 2019.JPG2019-08-23 blesbuck.JPG

I never quite understand guns getting off zero unless they are abused or inferior equipment.

-I have a 20 year old Rem 700 SPS 300WM with VX2 Leupold scope. Its been on 12 plus airplane rides, thousands of miles of truck, quads. It has never once left zero. I quit sighting it in every time I landed because I got tired of wasting ammo.
-Nosler M48 .30 Nosler. Couple plane rides, a few elk, quads, trucks. Been shipped UPS 4 times to either Nosler, or for load development. Leupold VX3i. even took a nasty drop once, never lost zero
- Just took my Tikka 270WSM out after a stock replacement. been on planes, boats you name it. Just shot last weekend. It was right at zero. Guess what. Leupold scope VX2
- I haven't shot my Browning x bolt after coming back from Browning but I bet its right on. Leupold VX3i
I have several other the same way. Either I am extremely lucky or its because I take really good care of my stuff ( yes) or its the Leupold scopes ( my guess). I only shoot about 6-8 rounds a year just to get back familiar with what ever rifle I choose to hunt with.

I’ve had a bunch, even a full custom built to my desires, none have served me like my Browning A-bolt .280 Remington.

It’s not a tack-driver by today’s standards, but very accurate, has never misfired, and holds point of aim dependably.

I keep trying to upgrade, trying new calibers, weights, styles.......none can give me the confidence that it does. Why do I try? My son now uses that rifle, so my quest continues. I’m happy a rifle like this resides in my safe, I’ve had many that feel like strangers in there.
Same with both my A-bolt in .22-250and the other A bolt II in. 204, they like whatever you feed em. Been trying to find one in .280 rem. Most of them I've found are heavily used. I've got more expensive rifles but those A bolts are my go to.

Same 30-06 WWII Springfield I started out with back in 1964. It has shot deer, elk, moose, antelope, and African plains game. Not a fantastic tack driver but it gets the job done. I'm an up close stalker not a long shot sniper so it's worked well for me. A hard working gun for a guy who hunted hard.View attachment 174501View attachment 174498View attachment 174499
When I was in my late 30’s, ( I am 73 now) I met a man named Malcolm. He was then in his late 80’s. We had the pleasure of each others company for about 3 years before before he died. He was too young for WW One and too old for WW Two.

Without question he was the greatest outdoors man I ever knew. As a young man he was active in helping get support for the Federal Aid to Wildlife Act of 1937. ( Pittman Robertson) He was the only man I ever knew who had hunted all over North America and took every game animal except for getting a Grand Slam on Wild Sheep. He took a Dall Sheep and Rocky Mountain Big Horn.

His childhood heroes were the soldiers coming back from WW1. He owned only one rifle, a custom Springfield in 30-06. It had a rock maple stock and a fixed 4x scope. He always traveled with a spare scope already sighted in and with rings just in case.

He advised me to be loyal to just one rifle. Something I could never do. He was a hunter not a shooter. I am both.

Thank you for making a fine contribution to my post.

I never quite understand guns getting off zero unless they are abused or inferior equipment.

-I have a 20 year old Rem 700 SPS 300WM with VX2 Leupold scope. Its been on 12 plus airplane rides, thousands of miles of truck, quads. It has never once left zero. I quit sighting it in every time I landed because I got tired of wasting ammo.
-Nosler M48 .30 Nosler. Couple plane rides, a few elk, quads, trucks. Been shipped UPS 4 times to either Nosler, or for load development. Leupold VX3i. even took a nasty drop once, never lost zero
- Just took my Tikka 270WSM out after a stock replacement. been on planes, boats you name it. Just shot last weekend. It was right at zero. Guess what. Leupold scope VX2
- I haven't shot my Browning x bolt after coming back from Browning but I bet its right on. Leupold VX3i
I have several other the same way. Either I am extremely lucky or its because I take really good care of my stuff ( yes) or its the Leupold scopes ( my guess). I only shoot about 6-8 rounds a year just to get back familiar with what ever rifle I choose to hunt with.
I have had three vintage rifles with wood stocks and a screw in the for end that went into the barrel. All have proven to be finicky. Also, I have had two rifles with gorgeous highly figured French walnut stocks. They were equally troublesome.

During the Vietnam War our sharpshooters had the same challenge with the wooden stocked Remington rifles.

For several years I shot a Remington Model 7 in 260, a lot,,,as in a real LOT. One day the trigger pull just got real hard. Turns out the parts of the trigger were not steel, just plated cast metal which I wore through.

When I was in my late 30’s, ( I am 73 now) I met a man named Malcolm. He was then in his late 80’s. We had the pleasure of each others company for about 3 years before before he died. He was too young for WW One and too old for WW Two.

Without question he was the greatest outdoors man I ever knew. As a young man he was active in helping get support for the Federal Aid to Wildlife Act of 1937. ( Pittman Robertson) He was the only man I ever knew who had hunted all over North America and took every game animal except for getting a Grand Slam on Wild Sheep. He took a Dall Sheep and Rocky Mountain Big Horn.

His childhood heroes were the soldiers coming back from WW1. He owned only one rifle, a custom Springfield in 30-06. It had a rock maple stock and a fixed 4x scope. He always traveled with a spare scope already sighted in and with rings just in case.

He advised me to be loyal to just one rifle. Something I could never do. He was a hunter not a shooter. I am both.

Thank you for making a fine contribution to my post.
You're welcome. What happened to that gent's Springfield? Sounds like he was a living legend. You were lucky to have known him.

About 20 yrs ago Gallery of Guns partnered with Ruger to come out with a limited edition of M77's using a standard blued barrel action, sitting on their classic synthetic stock. It was offered in some not recently available rounds as well (for the time)....6.5X55, 7X57....and some more. $399.

I self debated hard between the 7X57 and the 7/08. What actually won the debate was the potential future availability of reloadable brass.

The 7/08 won.

First good load was 150gr BT's with RL-15 @ 2650fps. 1/2" - 3/4" groups 24/7/365 for 10 years running.

Next, and current load, 140 gr AB, or BT, with Varget at 2760fps. Same accuracy for the past 10 years.

That little Ruger remains my one and only 1st and only shot needed rifle for 20 years running.

If me and my wife had to downsize the collection to one rifle each we would likely choose my Browning A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag and her Tikka T3 30-06. They both shoot great and they are tried and true for us. If something needs to be shot, generally one of those guns is doing the shooting.

I have had three vintage rifles with wood stocks and a screw in the for end that went into the barrel. All have proven to be finicky. Also, I have had two rifles with gorgeous highly figured French walnut stocks. They were equally troublesome.

During the Vietnam War our sharpshooters had the same challenge with the wooden stocked Remington rifles.

For several years I shot a Remington Model 7 in 260, a lot,,,as in a real LOT. One day the trigger pull just got real hard. Turns out the parts of the trigger were not steel, just plated cast metal which I wore through.
I am for sure not experienced with wood stocks. While I have a few woodies, other than a lever none are my hunting rifles. Most of my rifles for hunting are all the new fancy pants stuff. Kevlar and carbon fiber fiber. Maybe they are less finicky.Biggest reason for me is hunting out in Oregon we have lots of moisture to deal with.

I am for sure not experienced with wood stocks. While I have a few woodies, other than a lever none are my hunting rifles. Most of my rifles for hunting are all the new fancy pants stuff. Kevlar and carbon fiber fiber. Maybe they are less finicky.Biggest reason for me is hunting out in Oregon we have lots of moisture to deal with.
Thank You for your response. Moisture,,,Yes Sir. That is why I so value my Sako Finnlight. Stainless synthetic stock,,,
Where wood stocks really play havoc is after getting a rifle wet, one needs to take them apart to dry out lest they rust.Ten putting them back togeter requires a few test shots.

All the more reason I began this post.

My Browning A-bolt SS BOSS in 300 WSM is pretty much my benchmark. I have never had an issue with it.

Accurate, powerful, light, dependable, light recoiling, and weather resistant.

Whats not to like? I cant believe they moved away from that model to those ugly X-bolts...lol

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back