What is your favorite tactic for archery hunting elk during the rut?

LopeHunter

Counting the days and wanting to give this my best shot, literally. Will be solo, backpack hunt in the elk rut. Just me and the elk. All forest land. About 1 hunter per 4 square miles on average.

Steep ridges with thin cover except in some deep gulleys where find a creek or seeps/wallows.

Shooting the bow every other day out to 70 yards but like a 30 yard shot. Working out the other days. Hiking with 50# pack on weekends. I should be ready.

Your tips?

Glassing than spot and stalk while blowing sexy cow calls with a mouth reed...or hunting water thats being hit

Locate a herd bull, move inside of 100 yards of him- preferably 60 yards- and scream the loudest, nastiest bugle I have at him. If he bugles back right away, cut him off. Have arrow nocked and be ready to draw in a hurry!

Nothing better than screaming matches with bulls from close quarters...

Any technique used to archery hunt elk on public land during the rut is a kick in the ass! I would have to agree with Scoot that nothing compares to a close quarters sceaming match with a trophy bull. I myself enjoy throwing out some locate bugles at first light during the last few days of the season and then closing the distance. I have had success simply cow calling bulls into range early in the season however it is the roar of a rutting bull that really does it for me. Is it September yet?

Any technique used to archery hunt elk on public land during the rut is a kick in the ass! I would have to agree with Scoot that nothing compares to a close quarters sceaming match with a trophy bull. I myself enjoy throwing out some locate bugles at first light during the last few days of the season and then closing the distance. I have had success simply cow calling bulls into range early in the season however it is the roar of a rutting bull that really does it for me. Is it September yet?

Amen!!! I hate to wish the Summer away, but I sure can't wait to be ripping bugles off in the mountains!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back