Caribou Gear

What is the best hand held radio??????

DaleT

Jimmy and I are looking at getting some radios, but the better ones require a licence. Does anyone else use them, and what would you recommend?????

Dale, I bought a set of cobra's last year for deer hunting (trying to keep track of my son) I never thought they would come in near as handy as they have. Mine have a five mile radius and will go that far and more. In fact I need to get one more my wife wants one she can keep in the house so she can listen to us. We used them turkey hunting this year and also took them to canada back in june when we went fishing up there. The ones I have were on sale in Wal-Marts for $80 for the pair of them.

Gar Man, Did you have have a licence for this unit???? Have you used it in the mountains?????? How mant watts does it use???

Sorry for all the Questions.

No I don't have a licence for that unit and I don't think you need one I'm sure you don't need one. As far as use in the mountains I'll be able to tell you after the 7th of oct. and as far as watts I don't how many it puts out. All I know is I wont hunt without them again they are way to usefull.

Dale, that license is no big deal. It amounts to filling out a form and sending it in. As a matter of fact you might find you like it just because that band isn't as crowded (because nobody wants to mess with the license
biggrin.gif
).

Meathead & Flipper had some Motorolas that we used at last year's Hillbilly Fest; they worked "as advertised." There's a lot of accessories available for the Motorolas, too, like weatherproof cases, and headsets, speaker/mics....

I'm using a Rhino 120. GPS and radio in 1 unit. the radio is FRS band( no licence ) and GMRS ( licence reqd ). Mountains are always tricky as no radio wave will penetrate lots of dirt and rock. You have to go up to get range as any radio that is portable is not going to have the 'oomph' to blast through. The map feature on the GPS has saved a lot of back travel for me.

Dale, Michele got me a set of Motarola Talkabouts with the 5 mile range last year for Christmas. I intend to use them this year up in the hills.

Good luck to you and Jimmy.

the truck again
biggrin.gif
we use uhf radios up here i canada. no licence and they work up to 5 miles. depending on the terrain.
cool.gif

Back