What gender antelope WG&F home page

undercover

I made my first attempt at antelope hunting this past October in Wyoming. Small unit, lots of tags, very little public, Doe/fawn. I had an opportunity at the first public piece of ground within 5 minutes. In the crosshairs at 240yds, estimated 30-40 mile an hour cross wind, no shot taken. 2 animals staring at me head on. I also didn’t pull the trigger because I swear I saw dark ish cheek patches but no horns. My first and only encounter so please be nice. Hunt was over a day later as wife blew out her knee. Anyway I got to thinking tonight as I’m narrowing down some units for next fall for elk deer antelope and what I think will get me to Wyoming. The WG&F home page has antelope with a mountain esque backdrop. Help me identify each gender from left to right as seen by their face. I believe there are 9 and possibly ten animals. Furthest left(doe) second from left (doe with horns, no black cheek patch?) third from left(doe) fourth from left (young buck) fifth from left (doe) sixth from left) young buck) and last antelope far right (buck). 2 maybe three more in the back behind the group. If you see anything different could you please explain what I am not seeing?

Blessings

Brian

I made my first attempt at antelope hunting this past October in Wyoming. Small unit, lots of tags, very little public, Doe/fawn. I had an opportunity at the first public piece of ground within 5 minutes. In the crosshairs at 240yds, estimated 30-40 mile an hour cross wind, no shot taken. 2 animals staring at me head on. I also didn’t pull the trigger because I swear I saw dark ish cheek patches but no horns. My first and only encounter so please be nice. Hunt was over a day later as wife blew out her knee. Anyway I got to thinking tonight as I’m narrowing down some units for next fall for elk deer antelope and what I think will get me to Wyoming. The WG&F home page has antelope with a mountain esque backdrop. Help me identify each gender from left to right as seen by their face. I believe there are 9 and possibly ten animals. Furthest left(doe) second from left (doe with horns, no black cheek patch?) third from left(doe) fourth from left (young buck) fifth from left (doe) sixth from left) young buck) and last antelope far right (buck). 2 maybe three more in the back behind the group. If you see anything different could you please explain what I am not seeing?

Blessings

Brian

Blessings

Brian
Where do I click to see the pic?

1. The presence of snow on the ground indicates a winter picture. The bucks have shed their horns. This herd would look different during hunting season.
2. Looking at pictures like this is an appropriate way to practice and learn. However, in real life, you would watch these animals and see them from multiple angles, which would help with identification.

I'm going with (left to right) 1. doe, 2. young buck, 3. doe, 4. older buck, 5. doe, 6. young buck, 7. older buck. #2 does not have a visible cheek patch, but there is a lot of black on the nose, so I would guess it actually looks a lot like #6 when it turns its head. There also appears to be a cheek patch between #3's rump and #4's neck, so maybe another young buck in the background.

Of course, my analysis is worth what you paid for it.

QQ

The first time I took my wife out hunting with me in college, I had a doe fawn tag and she was along for the experience. We got to within 80 yards of a herd that was walking past us, and the first five or six animals that walked past were shed bucks. Once a doe cleared and gave me a good shot I shot her. My wife asked how come I waited so long to shoot. It was a good learning experience for her because I then got to teach her what I was looking for and why you have to be careful with pronghorn. It’s obviously more of a thing in the late season, but even in September or October you need to be looking for the patch if you have a doe fawn tag.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back