Caribou Gear Tarp

What do you use for bait?

Alex we use Beaver, dead calves, honey, donuts, bread, pizza crusts, apples, bannanas, or just about anthing that is biodegradable. Depends on the laws of the state a person is in I suppose. Bears like sweet stuff real well tho!!!! :D:D bcat

JELLY DOUGHNUTS !!! ive seen them pull out bagels and muffins and sweet breads, all about the same, just to feast on a jelly dougnut!! i found a squirt gun filled anise\vanilla extract squirterd all around the site will bring them to new bait site pretty quick! i would imagine all them dead critters bcat talking about works pretty good! what was Debbies bear chewin on before the lead ????

They outlawed our baiting(anit-hunting arseholes) a few years ago but I used to do a lot of it. Grew up baiting with my granddad and dad. DKO, anise/vanilla extract works wonders to get em going. I had a connection on pears and apples and the bears took the pears over the apples everytime. The pears were much sweeter. Donuts and such we used a lot of, also. Molasses in a hollow log or stump gets a bait active also. Main thing is make the bears work just a little at getting the food. They spensd a little more time at the bait if you do. Good luck. :cool:

I dont bait but my buddy cons me into help him carry his bait out. Anyway he uses regular old dog food and syrup. he goes to costco and pays about $12 for a 50lb bag and whatever a gallon of syrup costs. He tried the doughnuts and "big" food but he says that the bears will come in and grab a treat and head to the woods to eat it.
I dont know if its true or not but the dog food works real well and he always has alot of hits on his station. He's taken some nice bears too, one of these days I'm gonna use his station.

Lilbiggun, your buddy is correct about that! i watched a bear about 125lbs eat seven doughnuts exactly that way, he would come in slowly and cautiously grab one doughnut and blast about thirty yards into the woods and eat it.The bear repeated this for about 40 mins. seven doughnuts. GOOD LUCK!

Generally here in Wyoming the bear has been shot at before if he comes in and leaves with a mouthful and themn comes back for more. Usually tho they dont come in till after dark if they have been shot at before in the daylight. Its a good idea not to feed them too much at one time but a little bit every day. That keeps em coming back daily and also lets them get used to your smell and they know whos feeding them. DKO it was donuts that the bear Debbie killed was eating when she shot it. THe dog food Idea is a real good one I think. They like the pastries and sweet stuff tho. Another trick we found out about is, ANISE, this is a Licorice smelling Snapps. You soak a tampon with it and hang it in the tree, and some folks use vanilla extract for an attractant. Beavers with Maggots crawling out of the barrel works pretty good for an attractant too!!!! YUK!!!!:D:D bcat

We use alot of charger horse feed and up here if we bie a ton at a time its about $6.00 per 50# Goes alot ferther than dog food.We also get grees from restrounts for free and ad it to the grain.
Last year we had 3,000# of Jelly Beanes wich worked real good Except all we got was BEANNY BEARS coming to them :D :D

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back