PEAX Equipment

What do yo use for hogs?

Calif. Hunter

I've talked to people who use everything from knives and spears to .22's to big bore rifles for hogs. What do you use, and at what range and conditions do you shoot wild pigs?

I use my Browning A bolt in 7 mag. Works good for me. And up untill a few months ago it was my only center fire rifle.

I see your back CA hntr, need a story on exotics.

Actually, I leave tomorrow AM and Oscar picks me up Friday AM early from the motel. I asked him if he was bringing his digi-cam, laptop and cel phone so we could do a live hunt, and he said "Not this time!" Maybe in the future we could set something like that up! Now wouldn't that be cool?
I'm in Texas "on business" after Sunday, so I may not be back on the site until next Wednesday night or Thursday. That gives Oscar almost a week to lie about me!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

most of the hogs that i have taken were with a bow set @ 70# with 2315 arrows and within 20 yrds.If you have never had the opportunity to stalk hogs with a bow then your really missin a great way to hunt hogs!
up-close and personal! my huntin buddies son killed one over the holiday with a 20ga slug! another guys son killed one with a .223.

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

I usually start by drinking a 6-pak and go from there...
biggrin.gif
oops wrong hogs!!!

Never killed one so couldn't tell ya!

[This message has been edited by Mountain Boomer (edited 01-17-2001).]

I have always used n a .44 Rem. Mag. Ruger SA. With dogs it gets to be a close up and personal thing...5 to 20 ft. This morning I woke up and it was 34 degrees in the house so I figured I would take a couple of the dogs hunting because the truck has a great heater and it would be a lot quicker than waiting for that wood stove to heat the place up. Well I have had this Marlin 45/70 for about two years because I just had to have it but I have never taken it with me. Well the dogs were loose about 5 min. and I heard them baying about 500yards up the mountain. It is Murphy's Law you know....it is always "up" the mountain. I was "pissed". I hadn't even gotten thawed out yet and now I had to go slipping and slidding up to where they were. Oh yeh, what do I use. Well to make a long story short... that 45/70 just litterally picks them up and turns them over for you. Used a 300 gr. Hornady HP and that is out in the future. It would work great on a small hog and it did kill this one but when I opened her up the bullet fell out of the chest cavity. I think Hornady has come out with a 350gr. SP that may work better....or even the round nose.

[This message has been edited by hicntry (edited 01-17-2001).]

My buddy who used to guide for hogs with his dogs used to insist that the hunters use handguns because one guy shot the pig at close range with a .30-30, which through the pig and hit one of his dogs. Luckily, the dog lived through it. He used Rhodesian Ridgebacks crossed with pitbulls, and they worked pretty well. After that one problem, he never let anyone shoot a hog with a rifle when he was running the dogs.

Ca. Hunt, I am real carefull about where my dogs are when I drop the hammer. The big peoblem I see on insisting that every one shoot a pistol is that most people (present company not included) can't hit the broad side of a barn. If they wound the hog the dogs stand a good chance of getting hurt because the are used to them dropping where they stand and many times move right in at the shot. On occasion I have had someone with me but I tell them to wait until I say shoot unless they are in danger. I also explain to them that if they hit one of my dogs that I am not resposible for what may or may not happen to them. LOL

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back