What Did I Call In?

uncle buck

Using a Red Lens Light You can tell what the predator is that is coming into your calling.
Using a yellow lens or white light the eyes all look the same. "WHITE".

Red Lens:
Red Eyes like burning coals in a fire. Red Fox

Red orange tint eyes grey fox and or coon

Eyes like white diamonds bobcat and or coyote.

Arizona has laws against spot light hunting.but the times I have used them for Observation purpose's I have noticed coyote swap ends and get gone if you put even a red light strait at them. doesn't seam to bother the fox as bad.

uncle buck
I would have to agree with you, on determinning that types of animal that is responding to the call by there eyes. I have done alot of night hunting with a red lens light here in minnesota. Nitro X, here it is against the law as well, to hunt using a spotlight, but you can use a spotlight if it has a filtered lens. What the lens does is stops the spotlight from projecting a beam which is against the law. Using the lens illuminates the surronded areas making it legal. It is strange how this works, but HEY i will take it

Uncle Buck, good subject. I find that bobcat eyes shine gold and coyotes are blue or blue white. Some people see only red eyes, can you explane that? I started off using white lights, believe me there is a trick to that. Then I read a story about Murry Burnham saying animals don't see red lights. I went out and made me up a red light and tried it, it worked like he said. It takes time to tell the different animals by there eyes, not everyone can do it. You can sometimes tell what the animal is by the way it reacts or comes in to the sound. The most brillant set of eyes I've seen come from badgers, whiteish gold and close together. If you ever call in a lion at night, you'll know it lol, BIG gold eyes. If you get lucky and call in a bear, run for your life lol. Not really, the bears I've seen had greenish eyes. I'd say after more then 40 years of hunting the 3rd shift, I've probably seen ten thousand sets of eyes at night and I have found you can't always tell what it is by it's eyes, most times you can though. That's why it's a must to identfy what you are shooting at. One thing I learned a long time ago....NEVER, NEVER...shoot at one eye. Chances are it's a deer, cow, horse or something you don't want to kill. Simple rule of thumb to go by, animals of prey have eyes on the side of there heads and predators have eyes in front of there heads.

[ 05-16-2004, 10:39: Message edited by: Danny Batastini ]

Danny Outstanding info on other predators eyes.

I will have to remember what you said about bear eyes being green. I have called them in the daytime but not at night. The bear populations in PA are on the increase.

UB

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back