Yeti GOBOX Collection

What Camera to film hunts

Montanakid

Hey guys, a buddy and me have been trying to film and all that good stuff, what camera(s) would you recommend? I have a Canon Rebel T3i which has worked pretty good, but it is more for taking pictures. Thanks!

Glass matters as much or more than the camera body. Get good glass.

As far as the camera body goes, first look for film settings. FHD with 60+ fps is a good start. A lot of entry-to-mid-level DSLRs only shoot up to 30 fps, which is fine until you want to slow down your video in editing. Right now, I'm looking at upgrading to a Nikon D750, because I have all Nikon glass. This is all assuming you're planning on making a legit film.

Otherwise, just buy a GoPro, clip it onto yourself somehow, and post the unedited video to youtube like every other yahoo.

Last edited:
I'd say get a handheld camcorder. I'm not sure what is out there right now or what your budget is.. Dslrs look nice but it is hard to get enough reach out of them on far away objects.

No matter what you wind up using, get and use a tripod.

DSLR's would be awesome for B-Roll. Many use the exclusively as they also offer some good performance in low light as well. Depending on how much you want to spend, I have been really liking the new Panasonic HC 970 and 870. Both seem high quality and offer manual features, 4k video, 1080p/120 and 240 FPS interpolated, and different inputs for Mic and Headphone if I remember right in a package under $1000. If I were to get a camera, I think those would be my two choices unless I were to get the Soloshot2. They would work on it, but you could not use the auto zoom function that you can with some other cameras.

Definitely look at the discontinued basic model Garmin Virbs as they go for about $120 now and have better battery life than a Go Pro by about 25%. They are really solid for low light and quality b-roll.

DSLR's are the best way to get professional quality footage at the expense of manual controls and lens changes. Typically they do need external mic's and lots of batteries.

Small Handycam style cameras do quite well with good lighting, but are effectively useless the first and last 30 minutes of shooting time. They can easily run 6 hours on one of the bigger batteries. Its pretty great to have 1 battery and 1 64 GB card record 6 hours straight or 10 hours of standby.

A good tripod is pretty key. I also love Pedco UltrapodII's for mounting cameras anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back