Caribou Gear

What are you currently reading?

Have read McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove prequel Dead Man’s Walk. Watched the three episode series Christmas Day & decided to listen to it on Audible. It really paints Call and McCrae’s early days of being TX Rangers in an inept failure laden light. Somewhat incongruous with later (Dove) prideful passages.

View attachment 256911
I’ve been reading this in fits and starts due to limited time and energy. It’s a good read so far and hope I can finish it up before it’s due back at the library next week. It amazing how much time passes yet things still seem the same.
I heard the author and Tony Bynum on Hal Herring's podcast. Sounds like a great book.

My wife got me started on the Flavia DeLuce Mystery Series on Audio. Fun books for a 11-13 year old kid. (And adults who get the jokes.)
The heroine is a 11 YO genius who sometimes uses grown up words, knows nothing about sexual context when it is right in front of her, and solves mysteries.

I started reading Dune and the first Longmire book when I was tent-bound in Alaska. I finished Dune, and I've decided to read all the Longmires in order in the midst of whatever other books come up, I can't just read history, I have to have fun reads too. I'm on the 6th one now...

1672946042234.png
Finished this the other day. Very interesting and thought provoking. Easy read from a technical aspect (not long, large font, mostly small words), but the ideas challenged my current thinking several times. The main idea is that there are societies/cultures based on dignity or honor (or a mix) but that we in America are most on the dignity side and trending more that direction. The main goal is to provide an argument for more honor in our culture. I certainly see where it would be beneficial, but you can also clearly see why we've gone away from it. I doubt we will ever find a suitable balance between the two, but will constantly shift back and forth with various nuances.

Finished A Quiet Place of Violence over the holidays on @Big Fin's suggestion, definitely enjoyed it. A very different perspective and style of hunting prose than I have read in the past.

Also read Touching the Wild by Joe Hutto, about living with a herd of mule deer in WY. I found the writing a little repetitive, but it definitely provided unique insights on the intricacies of mule deer life cycles, interactions and social structure that I found pretty interesting.

Now moving back to Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, which I started a few months ago but didn't finish. The worlds that he builds are so intense that I have a hard time reading his work piecemeal. With my hunting mostly done until spring, methinks it is a good time to dive back in and try again.

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries. Great book pretty quick read. Great storys on entrepreneurship and awesome teachings on improving your work to ideally receive quality feedback, less waste, less energy, and validated learning.

IMG_20230112_080006.jpg

I pretty much inhaled this one. Crews wrote some of the most bizarre and inspiring fiction of the late 20th century and influenced a heap of writers. He had a tragic and wild life but his passion for writing was at the forefront of it all from childhood until death.

The author was one of my college professors and is a friend of mine to this day. It's interesting reading a book length work written by someone you know personally.

Anyone familiar with Crews or his fiction would be well served to check this one out.

Now moving back to Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, which I started a few months ago but didn't finish. The worlds that he builds are so intense that I have a hard time reading his work piecemeal. With my hunting mostly done until spring, methinks it is a good time to dive back in and try again.
McCarthy is hard to read even when you're enjoying it. Be sure to let us know when you finish it! Hell of a story

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back