What are the best tasting African game animals?

Medium rare Zebra steaks are hard to beat. Eland is amazing as well. Springbok, kudu, gemsbok, and red hartebeest are also very good.

Bush pig and eland where my favorite. Most of the rest I tasted (zebra, impala, kudu, bushbuck, gemsbok, duiker, wildebeest, waterbok) were very similar to elk or deer, IMO. Waterbok was probably the gamest of the bunch, but still palatable. Warthog was ok, too.

My first trip over, I missed out on tagging along on an elephant hunt by about 12 hours. We got to see the aftermath though, and dined on it a couple nights. The fillet was about the size of a grown mans leg! It tasted like grass fed lean beef, and was kind of stringy. But was pretty good.

I think of all the meats and ways to eat it, Biltong is the best there is, prefer buffalo or eland. I make it pretty regularly here with various meats. GOOD stuff! Matter of fact I might make some this weekend.

I have never got to dine on any African game, but I have to tell you I am surprised that Zebra is high on someones list. I guess that just comes from the horse eating stigma that has been ingrained in me?

Zebra was the favorite of my entire crew of 4 people. We also had eland, kudu, gemsbok, red hartebeest, warthog, blue wildebeest, springbok, guinea fowl, doves, and local beef. I thought zebra was by far the best. So good in fact I would not hunt any other big game animals if I could put a zebra in the freezer every year. It has a great texture, flavor, and tenderness, perfect for grilling steaks over hot coals.

I also make my own Biltong. I just made a big batch a couple weeks ago from some elk meat. It is absolutely delicious.

Zebra, Steenbok, Springbok, Impala, Giraffe, Ostrich, Kudu, Crocodile, Gemsbok, It's all good and the best of all is Eland.

I didn't try Warthog or Wildebeest yet but I'm sure I will eventually.

Impala and bushbuck were my favorite but to be honest it was all incredible. Special treat this last safari was my buddy's eland heart. Delicious!

Definitely second all the choices for Eland. Cape Buffalo T-bone steaks over an open fire are pretty hard to beat too.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back