Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Whale Pass School Subsistence Week

AndyPOW

Each year, with the help and support of the parents, I organize a week of camping and subsistence skills with the 7-12th grade students. Students and parents hunt, set halibut skates, shrimp pots, fish for halibut with rod and reel, forage for wild edibles, learn navigation and shelter building, first aid, etc. . . .The students make a presentation of the week on Quicktime player that is shown to community members, the district leadership etc. . . . I have been unable to load last year's presentation. Is there something I'm missing? I think a lot of you would get a kick out of it.

A skate line is like long line... two flyers and some weights.... it use to be like 25 hooks and I don’t remember how long the line is or in between the hook sets.

What is a halibut skate?
It is the term we use for a subsistence long line. Mine is 300' ground line with a hook every 15' for a total of 20 hooks. Regulation is a max of 30 hooks. My up lines are 200', which means I would set it in no more than 175' or so. at the junction of the uplines and ground line is a 10 lb. weight to keep the ground line on the bottom. My ground line is sinking line, while my up lines are floating. . . . mostly because that is what I had on hand. The hooks are baited with herring or salmon heads. Most people haul it in by hand.

The students make a presentation of the week on Quicktime player that is shown to community members, the district leadership etc. . . . I have been unable to load last year's presentation.

I think videos have to be hosted on YouTube or similar, only photos can be directly uploaded to the forum.

It is the term we use for a subsistence long line. Mine is 300' ground line with a hook every 15' for a total of 20 hooks. Regulation is a max of 30 hooks. My up lines are 200', which means I would set it in no more than 175' or so. at the junction of the uplines and ground line is a 10 lb. weight to keep the ground line on the bottom. My ground line is sinking line, while my up lines are floating. . . . mostly because that is what I had on hand. The hooks are baited with herring or salmon heads. Most people haul it in by hand.
what's an average soak time and typical haul?

what's an average soak time and typical haul?
Anywhere from hours to overnight. I might set it a few minutes from the house so can check it easily. During Subsistence Week it might be 20-25 miles from camp, so we set it one day and check the next day.

Anywhere from hours to overnight. I might set it a few minutes from the house so can check it easily. During Subsistence Week it might be 20-25 miles from camp, so we set it one day and check the next day.
Whale pass in Kodiak Alaska?

Back