Western hunting atv accessories

elkhnter

Looking to add a few items to my atv for western hunting.
The atv is a ‘02 Honda Rancher 350 standard shift. Has a 2000# winch already mounted. Looking at possibly a Kolpin gun boot and maybe some kind of a frond and rear box.
Western hunting is in the mountains for bear and elk. Take the quad in and set up base camp and hunt from there.
Any suggestions and/or photos would be appreciated.
Jim

I used a 2005 Honda Rancher until 3 years ago. I now use a Polaris Sportsman Touring but the equipment I carry is the same. I like soft bags and it took a couple of tries to get some that were truly waterproof. A Kolpin is a must for me I do not like my rifle in an open gun rack. Too much dirt, mud and or snow.
The list of things I carry is really long but I like to think I could spend a night or two and not starve and stay dry if I didn't get back to camp when I planned. I also carry a tow strap and a bunch of good rope. You never know how far you need to run the winch cable to get an anchor point. A decent hand saw can be helpful as well as ways to repair a flat tire. Pack as much extra gear as you can. I have carried deer across my soft front bag numerous times. Blood washes off so no big deal.

i have a hook a rack on mine and luv it for hauling out critters,,,even though its not rated for it i was able to haul out a elk on mine a few years back///hook a rack .com i think.

Jumper cables, tow strap, tire plugs, small air compressor, small can of extra gas, LED light bar and tool kit that came with bike or one that has tools to pull spark plug.

Warn winch
Heated grips
Insulated handlebar mitts.
Slime in the tires

Looking to add a few items to my atv for western hunting.
Take the quad in and set up base camp and hunt from there.

Running into base camp for us is 15 to 50 miles. Tires are the most common problem, bring tire plugs and a small compressor. Basic tools and to the degree you know your Honda, a few more. A bit of tie wire, ty-raps, duct tape can come in handy. A "jumper pack" takes less space than cables and has usb ports. Plastic boxes + Bungees pack a lot of stuff!
Geared up.JPG
Just added a Kolpin gun boot mount to one of the rigs today, but it could be a Bungee lock down. The farther one go, the better one should prepare.

This is a splint on a cracked frame. Piece of angle, Chain and tie wire kept the rear axle from falling off. A 40 mile run out.
wire.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back