West River South Dakota?

Mule Deer

I have a couple points in West River South Dakota.

Basically I am just wondering what your experiences are there, specifically for units 15 and 35?

I hunted unit 15 a year or so back, whitetail only and I was fairly impressed with the amount of public land and nice bucks on public land even after the bad winter. Although there weren't tons of hunters, the deer were very spooky though, and I came up empty handed.

I'm also wondering how long of a wait it may be for the any deer tag? Based on the amount of whitetails I saw compared to mule deer I'm not sure it's worth it. I did however start seeing more getting closer to Harding county, including a couple of big boys running together. So maybe someone with some experience up there can lend some info.

I grew up hunting Harding county and will miss that area but one thing I wont miss is the hunters. It was hard to get away from the truck hunters. Ive seen some good deer taken from the county here and there. Depends on what your hunting. The national forests get overrun by hunters on ATV's (at least when I hunted them) but I was always chasing muleys on the prairie. I lived in Buffalo one fall and that was a great time. Nice thing about both of those counties is the amount of public land. Alot of freedom if your willing to hoof it. More so in Butte county.

Cant speak for the deer hunting there lately as I havent hunted there since 09. was pretty bleak there then and had to work for the deer I got. Turned down a few whiteys to find a mule deer.

I don't have any experience in the units you mentioned, but we hunt in perkins county, just east of harding. The southern part of perkins had some die off with the whitetails this last year, but there are still some around. as far as points, we finally drew an any deer on the third year. it used to be considerably easier, but i think more people are looking at all of the public land available thus making it a little harder to get the any deer tag. I have heard that south of Wall there is supposed to be some pretty good hunting but i can't speak from experience. hope this helps you a little and good luck.

I have never hunted those counties, but I have hunted Perkins. We went the opener of East River deer (so the second weekend of West River season) and hardly saw any other hunters. Typically we hunt Gregory.

If I would go back to the northwest part of the state, I would probably take the same approach. The other hunters we did see never really got out of the truck. We were pretty motivated so once we got deep enough into some of those big areas, it was just us. The numbers were pretty solid and the deer surprisingly werent that spooky assuming they got pressured the weekend before. It is a hunt I would definitely do again.

I might be able to help you out. I live in 35. Are you more interested in Whitetail or Mule Deer? Lots and lots of public hunting available.

Appreciate all the replies.

I might be able to help you out. I live in 35. Are you more interested in Whitetail or Mule Deer? Lots and lots of public hunting available.

Well, I'm not really looking for someone to tell me where the deer are exactly, but more so is it worth the wait?

I can probably get whitetail tag in butte county without points. Thing is I didn't see many mule deer so I don't know if it's worth waiting to draw any deer.

I was wondering what the mule deer numbers are like up in Harding county? Many 160in mulies up there?

I go to Montana every year and can snag myself a 160 in deer fairly easily which is plenty big for me. So I'm just interested if Harding county produces anything worth chasing?

Yes, Harding produces some decent muleys from public land. It was my go-to spot. In the five years I hunted it, I killed a nice 150-170" mules there. When I had the late muzzy tag in my pocket, I was very picky and found a bomber buck, and missed. All the above mentioned on public access. Put a pack on your back and get a couple miles in and you'll see plenty.

I grew up in Perkins county and miss the hunting. I hunted all private ground though. The public that's there produces great deer. Can't go wrong with t bones suggestion of throwing on a pack and getting after it.

Appreciate all the replies.

Well, I'm not really looking for someone to tell me where the deer are exactly, but more so is it worth the wait?

I can probably get whitetail tag in butte county without points. Thing is I didn't see many mule deer so I don't know if it's worth waiting to draw any deer.

I was wondering what the mule deer numbers are like up in Harding county? Many 160in mulies up there?

I go to Montana every year and can snag myself a 160 in deer fairly easily which is plenty big for me. So I'm just interested if Harding county produces anything worth chasing?

whatever you do make sure to shoot some Whitetail does because they are running the mule deer out

I've been looking into West River also. Anyone know the ratio of whitetails to mulies. I'm thinking of applying for whitetail only since I don't have any points. Are there enough whitetails to hunt in the National Grassland?

I've been looking into West River also. Anyone know the ratio of whitetails to mulies. I'm thinking of applying for whitetail only since I don't have any points. Are there enough whitetails to hunt in the National Grassland?

Depends entirely on where you are. Can’t say there are more muleys than whities or vice versa because it can flip flop entirely from county to county, and even within the county. I hunted an area where we rarely saw whities while you could go 20 miles away into the national forest and be overrun by whities.

Some parts will be predominantly muleys and some areas will be great whitetail hunting with marginal (at best) mule deer hunting.

Depends entirely on where you are. Can’t say there are more muleys than whities or vice versa because it can flip flop entirely from county to county, and even within the county. I hunted an area where we rarely saw whities while you could go 20 miles away into the national forest and be overrun by whities.

Some parts will be predominantly muleys and some areas will be great whitetail hunting with marginal (at best) mule deer hunting.

Spot on Description

Hopefully the deer numbers haven't been hit as hard as the pronghorns...
my buddy and I have a couple of points for west river and were thinking of cashing in if we can this year, but if the numbers have been hit hard by winter and such, we may have to look at some where else

Knock on wood they are doing outstanding and yes, some very good mature bucks around. This is on private land mind you. We have had some very easy winters and no disease for a couple of years now. If you would like me to private message you some pictures I sure well.

Knock on wood they are doing outstanding and yes, some very good mature bucks around. This is on private land mind you. We have had some very easy winters and no disease for a couple of years now. If you would like me to private message you some pictures I sure well.

Please do.

Back