PEAX Equipment

West coast salmon recovery

https://alaskafish.news/03/2024/dea...mc-on-trawl-chum-cap-is-march-29-at-midnight/

If you're quick you can sneak a comment in.
https://meetings.npfmc.org/Meeting/Details/3039 at section c2

Contentious Chum cap enters “initial review”

There is no limit to the number of chum salmon that Bering Sea trawlers can take and toss (by law) as bycatch. At the April meeting, the NPFMC will evaluate, among other options, a trawl chum cap potentially ranging from 200,000 to 550,000 fish.
“There’s no way the pollock fleet can sit here and say we will accept these hard caps. It could shut down the Alaska pollock fleet entirely.”
-STEPHANIE MADSEN, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE AT-SEA PROCESSORS ASSOCIATION

PNG image.png
this is just the estimate for the Bering sea. A cap of 200,000 would help on bad year but a cap of 550,00 would be business as usual

View attachment 320729
this is just the estimate for the Bering sea. A cap of 200,000 would help on bad year but a cap of 550,00 would be business as usual

How many salmon were allowed for subsistence harvest the last few years? Compare that to the bycatch, and it's enough to make your blood boil. Fish sticks and fake crab for the Chinese are apparently more important than natives and US citizens feeding themselves (kings) and their sled dogs (chums).

Not to mention how criminally underreported the bycatch actually is.

Not to mention how criminally underreported the bycatch actually is.
Yeah I keep coming back to that thought.

I watched this last night. Pretty incredible film. I've heard the filmmaker, Shane Anderson, on a podcast but this is the first film of them I've seen.
https://www.pbs.org/video/the-lost-salmon-8hjf4t/

There's some amazing footage and great info. It shows the paths these different populations take in the ocean. A lot of the Columbia river and other Oregon/Washington Populations migrate north where they can get intercepted by more commercial fisheries in BC and AK, as well as trawls. It gives me a lot of of hope for the Klamath. Those populations stay off the coast of Oregon and California in the Ocean where the harvest can be easier to regulate.

I've been hearing more about how Pinks and Chum may be stressing available pelagic food supplies. This article mentions that Asian hatcheries are producing them.
Humpies are fun, but.....

I've been hearing more about how Pinks and Chum may be stressing available pelagic food supplies. This article mentions that Asian hatcheries are producing them.
Humpies are fun, but.....

It’s a bigger issue than anyone can figure out yet. The state of Alaska pumped out close to 2 billion fish mostly chums and humpies last year. That way they can can continue to ignore the bycatch rates on chums by the trawl fleet. Especially when they base the catch on the sustainability data from 2007.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back