Welsh Springer Spaniels

I have an English Springer Spaniel, so a little different from Welsh but not huge. I'll say they do terribly in the heat. If the temp is 80 deg in South Dakota, my ESS will need a water break every 15 mins. They just overheat way too fast with their hunting style.

Munsterlander's look almost the exact same as my ESS, so much so that he is often confused with one. But that is mainly because he is field line with short legs and stocky build unlike the ESS that's in the show ring.

Great dog, super smart, eager to please and easy to train. He does have more energy than most dogs I've seen. Now that he is 4, he has finally started to lay down in the house and sleep when he's out of the kennel. But if ball is around he will play 12 hours straight if he can stay cool enough.

But again, probably not the best choice for Arizona, too hot and his coat does very poorly with stickers and whatnot. Too fine of fur that catches everything and holds on tight.

My ESS:
59320704885__9ABE9542-A6CE-4B00-A917-7B8B628E9284.JPG

Small Munsterlander
Images-of-Small-Munsterlander.jpg

SD Prarie Goat,
Yeah, it will be an indoor dog. During quail season the weather is perfect, it's that off season trying to get him outside for training and exercise that's my concern. Thanks for the heads up.
My current dog Max, a 10 year old shepherd can no longer go on my early morning hikes up the mountain. Already too hot here in the desert. I do have a pool in my backyard so that might help to burn up some energy during the 4 months of extreme heat.
Great pics, your ESS and the Munsterlander pic look almost identical.
Again, thanks!

SD Prarie Goat,
Yeah, it will be an indoor dog. During quail season the weather is perfect, it's that off season trying to get him outside for training and exercise that's my concern. Thanks for the heads up.
My current dog Max, a 10 year old shepherd can no longer go on my early morning hikes up the mountain. Already too hot here in the desert. I do have a pool in my backyard so that might help to burn up some energy during the 4 months of extreme heat.
Great pics, your ESS and the Munsterlander pic look almost identical.
Again, thanks!

They're great dogs no doubt. I don't know if I'll get another breed after having a Springer.

If you have a pool, good luck keeping them out of it. They love water and getting dirty. But that would be a good way to keep them cool and burn energy

Yes the Welshie is a flusher and like I said they do a little bit of hound doggin

Back